Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingAdolescent · 2 months ago

Should I get rid of my collection of Confederate Memorabilia?

More specifically, should I take down my antique Confederate flag and portrait of Robert E. Lee. In this climate I'm worried they might be sending the wrong message to my teenage stepson, or create friction with his friends.  There seem to be some folks on TV who are treating these sorts of things as something other than an item of historical interest.  

i am guessing you're a right wing troll but if not, you should have enough sense to know they aren't "historical" -- or at least any history you should be wanting to preserve

You have to make your own judgment on this. Have you talked with your stepson before about this, about these artifacts?  What is his understanding of them?  Do you think he needs to learn more about this time in history, to give him better context?  I would think knowledge of history would be a great asset here.  And of course you will need an easily understood answer when they ask why you have these things. More than "they have historical interest."

These items aren't things of historical interest, they're racist symbols- at least in the minds of a lot of people involved in the BLM movement right now. I'd be careful about having or displaying a Confederate flag around your house. It might attract the wrong kind of attention to you. Ditto for pictures of Lee.