Fredy asked in Business & FinanceInsurance · 2 months ago

Going to the doctor with no health insurance?

So I’m currently waiting on my new health insurance to get approved...they’re still processing documents. However, the last two days I’ve had this minor pain in my right side of my chest. Idk if it’s my lung or not. It doesn’t hurt when I breathe. 

If I wanted to get checked out will I need to pay in full? 

Do I have any options? 

• L

You have two options; wait until you're covered or go now but you will be responsible for the costs.

Well, I have Medicare A & B . but doctors won't see me . because I am a new patient and will not take on any new patients. as they make less money. Doctors today are in it for the money and no longer abide by the hippocratic oath so even if you have health insurance there is no guarantee, that a doctor will see you 

Yes, ask and confirm when your insurance will be effective. They may retro or "backdate" your coverage to the date you plan to go to the doctor. You might want to explain that you have a dire need to see a physician and they may have the possibility to rush your paperwork. You never know until you ask.

Even if you aren't eligible, keep in mind that many doctors offices have financial assistance programs. That means that if you are left with an expensive bill, that a portion of it will be written off by your provider. Ask about this as well, many doctors offices associated with large hospitals and universities have these financial assistance programs that work on a sliding scale. Ask about the details and see if you are eligible. Again, it never hurts to ask.

Yep, you'll pay out of pocket. But you can wait on that pain as long as you aren't having trouble breathing or you're not coughing, and if you don't have numbness or tingling down your side or in your arm. It's most likely a muscle spasm, or a condition known as costochondritis--inflammation of the cartilage on the rib cage--which is common and harmless. Take some pain relievers. Use a heating pad if you think you need one, and wait at least 3 more days. If the pain subsides, you'll have saved yourself a couple hundred bucks. If you get a fever, chills, or any other symptoms of bronchitis or the flu, GO see the doc. 

You are probably okay. Rest over the weekend while taking some pain pills and muscle relaxers and see if that helps.  Yes, you would pay in full.

Yes, they will want you to pay in full that day. Id say give it time, you will be fine. Left side of your chest is more critical.

Some doctors make you pay in full when you get there.

Some send you a bill in the mail for you to pay later.

Some don't make you pay the full amount ever.  They figure that dealing with insurance companies takes so much time that someone who isn't using insurance should get a discount.

How would anyone here know what the effective date of your medical insurance is?  You're the one who filled out the application.

Yes you have options.   Figure out what the effective date of your insurance is.   If your application has been submitted, you can probably access health care even if you haven't received your ID cards yet.   Call them and find out.

If you don't have health insurance, you have to pay for healthcare treatment.

Health insurance doesn't get "approved" you fill out the form and based on the day it was submitted, means the day it was active.

Are you referring to something like medicaid?  Medicaid is not insurance.  It's government sponsored healthcare.  It can take weeks or months to get approved (or denied). 

If your state's still allows you to purchase health insurance, you should sign up.  if you do that today it will likely start on Jan 15th. 

• Tavy

Most probably just muscle strain. Give it time.