Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiseases & ConditionsInfectious Diseases · 2 months ago

How come the entire household doesn't get sick when one person is?

My wife was sick, and I was next to her the whole time, and I didn't catch anything.

Other times, I'm sick, and she's next to me, and she doesn't get sick.

How does this happen?

And how do we get sick when we aren't around anyone showing symptoms? Like even in public spaces such as the grocery store, etc., we didn't see anyone recently coughing or sneezing...

(Ps, it wasn't covid, she took the test while she was sick and came back negative for that one)

So it's a two part question, I guess.

How do people not get sick when around others who are clearly sick?

And how do people get sick when they weren't ever around others who were showing symptoms?

Favorite Answer

Our body has different mechanisms for fighting off the viruses and other infections.

For example with covid specifically

a) according to a study by Boston University 54% of people will not get covid if they have sufficient levels of vitamin D (simply would unlikely be in a situation where they would get enough viral load to cause an infection.

b) It's unsure how covid immunity works yet. 

Covid creates short term antibody markers called IgG and IgM but every covid patient also has T-cell and B-cell changes.

- the antibody markers are exclusive to covid; the cell changes aren't.  We can have them from a previous cold we had.

Thus, it might end up being that some of us have "natural" immunity to covid due to a previous cold.

It depends on how the illness transmits to other. 

Going back to colds, flu, covid = 33% of people infected do not sure symptoms.  It's called being asymptomatic.

With Covid specifically - you are most contagious during the first 5 days of the infection.  However, most people don't how symptoms until day 5 or later after being infected.  Thus, you are most contagious before you have symptoms. 

.

• martin

There are ways to prevent touching or breathing in the cold germs.