Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 2 months ago

Isn’t it quite pathetic that people are critical of of these “No Sleep” benches?

I mean seriously, many people say it’s hostile architecture and think that it’s discriminatory against the homeless population. I think that it’s an ideal way to make communities safer. The public can still use the benches for their intended purpose which is to sit on them. What people don’t want is for sex offenders, alcoholics, drug addicts, and the mentally ill loitering in public which is illegal and poses a great health and safety risk. My opinion may be somewhat biased because I once did a ride along years ago with a police officer. In doing so my opinion shifted greatly. There are shelters for genuine homeless people who are in need of help, that don’t drink alcohol, use illegal drugs, and routinely commit felonies. What bothered me the most is how many of them blatantly lie about being in the military. I have relatives who truly were in the military and I take that as a slap in the face. Furthermore, I had a homeless guy ask me for money at a gas station about 2 years ago and I politely told him that I didn’t have anything. This unfortunately led to him attempting to pull a knife on me which almost resulted in me shooting him. When he saw my gun, he ran away. The suspect was caught later that night and arrested for a probation violation. As it turns out, this guy had 3 previous convictions for “Methamphetamine possession” and 1 previous conviction of “chemical endangerment of a child”. Now if don’t know someone personally I don’t even acknowledge them.

@ Lone cat Homelessness isn’t the problem. The problem is having to tell the same crackhead or prostitute 3 times or more a day that they cannot hang out in front of my business and beg for money from my customers.

@ Lone cat I now intend to replace both of the benches in front of my store with these as they are a 100% harmless way to repel stubborn bums from private property. I’m also considering putting an extremely loud intercom speaker above each of them so I can run them off myself instead of having to call the police to remove them. Any other ideas? I would be glad to use those humane, easy, and cost efficient glue boards but I cannot find any that are big enough.

@ Foofa yeah it’s beyond me why so many people feel sorry for them. A vast majority of them are either addicted to illegal drugs or are registered sex offenders that nobody would be willing to rent to (and understandably so) many also suffer from extreme mental illnesses and refuse to take their meds. They often self medicate with alcohol and other

drugs. This makes them very dangerous to confront. It’s also why police are dispatched to deal with them as they may be armed and or become violent.

@ Foofa I MEANT TO GIVE YOU 5 STARS! SORRY!

• Foofa
    Favorite Answer

The theory goes that if the local government can't provide places for sleeping that people should just be allowed to sleep anywhere they like. But yeah, in homeless crisis cities (like all of those under the 9th Circuit's ruling on Martin v. Boise) it reaches a point where entire neighborhoods become off limits to people just trying to walk around and conduct their business. In my city a pedestrian is attacked by a homeless person at least once a week (and the police claim there's nothing they can do about it). 

It probably bothers some people that haven’t had to run their own business and deal with bums trespassing and shoplifting all day long. 

If no sleep benches is a solution, then what is the problem?  Homelessness?  No, the benches won't solve the homeless problem.  Crime?  I don't think so.  Loitering, maybe.