solid asked in Computers & InternetSoftware · 2 months ago

how do I reinstall windows 10 with a disk - I put the disk in, and it does nothing?

If it's not booting maybe the disk is broken to try other disk, or you can do windows with bootable flash drive with a free tool called Rufus 

Put the DVD in the DVD drive, then reboot the computer.  Watch carefully.  It may give a message, such as "press any key to install Windows..." at which point, press a key.

On the other hand, if the computer ignores the disc and boots normally, you will need to force a boot to the DVD.  Reboot again, and watch carefully for a message that says something like "F12 for boot menu," then press F12.  The message will vary from computer to computer, and might say "boot order," "boot devices," or something else.  If you see none of those, there may be a message with something like "F2 for setup" or "press DEL to enter setup" - in which case, press the key, then navigate around for something about Boot Order.  Move the DVD drive up to the top, first priority.  Then reboot again.

If this seems too complicated, see if you can ask a tech-savvy friend to help you over the phone while you do it.

I took my laptop to the repair shop a week ago and they did it for me. Cos the laptop wasn't taking or connecting to the Internet. I don't do these things myself unless I bought it with the device. 

To reinstall and repair windows, you'd need to create a bootable usb also known as a repair disk. By reinstalling windows on the bootable media, you'll be able to boot up the usb on the device and you will be directed to the windows set up. On windows set up, you'll be provided a window with your current partition. If you wish to have your other partitions untouched, do not choose to format or delete the other partitions but rather format the partition which consist of the windows installation file. By formatting the boot partition, all the files inside will be removed within the process. You may also choose to select the windows/boot partition to reinstall windows whereas it will create a windows.old on the C drive which should consist of the user folder and your previous installation files.

As for the reset this pc option, by choosing remove everything it will only remove the files where windows is currently installed and the files on the other partitions will remain on its default location.

Microsoft has insulted their entire customer base by treating everyone as if they are idiots and cannot operate their own computers. Since Windoze 10 has disabled the auto start features on the CD/DVD drive. You have to insert your disk, then using "Windows Explorer", browse to the disk and select the file "setup.exe" Right click it and select "Run as Administrator".

Put the Disk in the computer, then reboot your computer

Restart the computer, you should see on the first screen 'press ... to select boot device' or something similarly worded, press the button and you should get options on to select the disk/DVD drive, then you should see an onscreen prompt to press a key to load disk. 

If it's a bootable disc, you'll need to reboot the PC.