? asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 2 months ago

Is my mom a hypocrite?

Here's what happened yesterday:

Considering she doesn't like it when I make jokes about Muslims, but she mocks Chinese accents all the time. Yesterday at the lunch table my mom bought some Sunday sandwiches and she said that an employee forgot to put in some bacon. I asked her, maybe she should call Subway. I then told her maybe a Muslim told the employee *not* to put the bacon on there. She said, "Why would you ever say that? That is so retarded!"I told her it's a joke, and I kind of called her out for mocking Chinese voices (she's Armenian). She told me well she's doing that in the privacy of our own home, while I am making a joke about Muslims. I told her Trump said he would ban Muslim immigration (she said, "I don't care what Trump says. We're not racist." despite having supported Trump in 9/10 cases) and that if I were outside in public saying those things I'd be labeled as a racist. I told her that Muslim is not a race, but a religion.Is my mom a hypocrite?

I forgot to clarify my mom is Armenian-AMERICAN and she was born in Lebanon due to the genocide that occurred during WWII

• Foofa
    Favorite Answer

You'd think an Armenian mom might be more concerned about other recent events. At any rate, you two clearly don't pay close attention to what's going on in the world but maybe if you keep your various phobias at home no one else will notice and you won't suffer the consequences. 

Whatever her mental health issue is, it DOES appear to be hereditary.

Yes, that sounds racist to me. 

Yes and she has a disrespectful child too.