Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Games & RecreationHobbies & Crafts · 2 months ago

How do I practice with a sewing machine?

I was given a vintage singer sewing machine, it's an entire piece of furniture on its own and it has a large pedal so it uses no electricity . 

It's my first machine and I'm so excited.

I want to use it desperately, I know how to thread the needle, how to put in the bobbin, how to wind bobbins with it.

I'm still figuring out the mechanics of the levers and the tension and everything but I have a good hold on everything.

However I really can't sew, the thread gets all tangled, or the fabric gets all ruffled, I can't control my stitch length, I want to practice using it but nobody I know has much experience with sewing machines except for my mom, but she has forgotten a lot about sewing since she hasn't used a sewing machine in a long time.

Pull up youtube channels on sewing and follow along

Best to watch a tutorial first or you can work with your sewing while watching the tutorial. Learn about its features first, the parts and its functions.

What brand is it? A Singer? Knowing the model and style is key to getting an answer on this. 

Also check YouTube for videos of using vintage machines. 

• drip

You are not threading it correctly or catching the tension if the machine is bird nesting on you.

The bobbin must be wound with an even tension, even speed. I will guess you are not putting the bobbin in right and/or not catching the tension on it.  Ditto with the top thread. Make sure to thread the machine with the pressure foot UP.    Make sure to pull the bobbing thread up and leave a tail behind the needle. Do the same with the top thread. Hang on to these tails for the first few stitches. 

Another problem may be it needs a tune up. You will need to learn how to oil this machine. 

I have sewn on a treadle sewing machine, but mine had dog feeds. The machine had “teeth” under the needle that fed the fabric through. I found sewing with an even speed and stopping tricky.  I would actually turn the hand wheel by hand to start off the first few stitches.

There are many YouTubes for treadle machines.  I would watch a few different ones.

I'm sure there must be online tutorials. I've never used a foot-pedal machine, only electric. (But I think they're way cool and I understand they can work for literally a hundred years with proper maintenance, like oiling and cleaning out the lint.)

I assume the issues you've having are the results of the same problems electric machines can have. When the fabric ruffles or gathers, it's a thread tension issue, usually too much bobbin tension. When the thread tangles, often it's because you failed to hold the ends as you started stitching, or the bobbin is not installed correctly.

I recommend finding some scrap fabric and working on those two issues, one at a time, using what you learn in tutorials.