Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 2 months ago

Overbearing mother trying to trap me for lockdown?

I’m 24 and a new national lockdown has been announced. I work in a different city to where my parents live and I’ve been with them for the holidays for 3 weeks. But with travel being restricted from midnight, I need to get back to my city and my flat. Not to mention my office is in that city and we are mainly working from home but there is a chance I’ll have to go in here and there.

My mother is now guilt tripping and stating the lockdown is meant for ‘family time’ and getting angry with me for leaving. Honestly I had anxiety just about telling her I’m leaving even after 3 weeks visit. The only reason I hadn’t left before was because I was on annual leave so I couldn’t really travel for ‘work reasons’ as well as the fact my city was in a different tier. 

Being honest with her, she acts like my reasons hurt her feelings and she gets upset that I moved out in the first place! Don’t know how to communicate with her anymore. 

Favorite Answer

"Mom, it's been lovely visiting with you for three weeks, but I don't live here.  It's time for me to return to my home and job.  Thanks for having me.  I love you.  B-bye."   And then you leave.

Quit trying to convince her of your point of view.   Don't argue.  Just inform and then follow-through.     If she cries our pouts or stomps her little feet...so what?   That's her problem.

You know you're finally an adult when your parents start acting like children.

I would say go out but don't expect to get back in.

It's your choice.

I honestly would just leave without telling because your mom guilt tripping you isn’t the best thing to do. Do what’s more important and do what you know is best for yourself. Good luck. 

Yes, your mother is guilty-ing you into staying.  Is that the question?

• T J

Dont worry about your mother, she is trying to guilt you in staying, get you butt home and back to work, before you have no job to go to.

You need to ask a question.