Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetProgramming & Design · 3 weeks ago

What actually did happen with the Y2K bug at the turn of the Millennium?

(Born in 1995) I know that the entire web didn't crash nor did traffic go haywire and everyone's bank accounts reset to 0, but on serious terms--were there problems with computer systems, software, or networks that required recoding, patches or even new hardware? Or was it just an overhyped scare?

26 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 weeks ago

It was just a big apocalypse. It didn't really happen.

• 3 weeks ago

It was an Unprecedented Financial Opportunity. Swindlers celebrated, selling panicy individuals water purifiers and freeze-dried food, and so on It put Alex Jones on the map.

• Robert
    Lv 5
    3 weeks ago

There were two sides to it.  One side was a completely legitimate concern over what might happen - some minor things had already happened which is why they knew in advance. People took appropriate steps and very few problems actually did happen. The other side was all hype, people starting rumors that said the y2k bug (only using 2 digits for the year) was embedded in chips all over the electrical grid that would all simultaneously stop functioning on new years eve 2000. This was all just fear mongering to manipulate people.

• Anonymous
    3 weeks ago

not very much if you're asking me on a personal level,  we're talking 21 years ago.

I was about to give my children up for adoption but my wife talked me out of it.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 3 weeks ago

The Y2K bug was a computer flaw, or bug, that may have caused problems when dealing with dates beyond December 31, 1999

• Anonymous
    3 weeks ago

It was an Unprecedented Financial Opportunity.  Con men rejoiced, selling panicy people water purifiers and freeze-dried food, etc. It made Alex Jones famous.                                                               

• 3 weeks ago

Y2K was commonly used to refer to a widespread computer programming shortcut that was expected to cause extensive havoc as the year changed from 1999 to 2000 at the turn of the Millenium. The change was expected to bring down computer systems infrastructures, such as those for banking and power plants.

• 3 weeks ago

I'm not going to give a b.s answer with pointless facts that are so obsolete that it would be pointless. Long story short Nothing happened,lol. I will say it had nothing to do with Windows because it was a flaw in bios and not windows

• P
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

What happened was companies spend billions fixing the major problems before they occurred.  They knew of the issue for years ahead of time and fixed them.   In fact they hired so many people to fix these issues they caused the tech bubble in 2000. There were some minor issues, but nothing serious enough to make the news.  

• Rick
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

nothing, it 'fizzled' ..........................

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.