? asked in Arts & HumanitiesPoetry · 2 months ago

Words for the "noise" of a kiss?

All I have so far is "pucker" and I don't even know if I used it right.. 

"I feel the tender pucker as I sit back up, and I realize he kissed my head..." 

Is there a word that would fit "pucker" better? That words seems funny to me but the only suggestions google had was "wrinkle", so I don't know if I even used pucker right... 

3 Answers

  • 2 months ago

    Slip. I think slip because it goes away and also has an almost passionate tone to it.  I felt the slight slip...

  • 2 months ago

    Pucker isn't a sound it's an action.

    The puckering of your lips is referring to a certain form they take.

    Also not the name of the sound, smooch, which is another word for kiss.

    Smack works, like the smacking of lips, though it only refers to kissing in a certain context, and for the sake of writing, might mean some unnecessary explaining.

    A singular onomatopoeia for the sound of a kiss is muah.

    But as for the continual sound I'm not sure if there is a word in the English language. I would suggest humor to describe the level of intensity. Anything from a kiss as gentle as the pop of a bubble, where more kisses mean more bubbles popping to a make out session that sounds like someone loves their food a little too much.

    If you want to get real poetic you might use similes like (see what I did there?) the sounds of ocean waves on a beach or the sound of leaves ruffled by the wind. The flick of a lighter or the lighting of a matchstick.

    You can get extra creative if you use synesthesia in order to describe the sound through other senses. 

  • 2 months ago

    'Pucker' is not the noise of a kiss, it's the shape of the lips.  "Pucker up".  The only word I can think of that has anything to do with the noise of a kiss is 'smack'.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.