Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Social ScienceDream Interpretation · 2 months ago

Why do I dream dreams about school shootings?

Almost every night I sleep, I dream about school shootings at my school especially the Columbine shooters Eric and Dylan. The dreams aren't really nightmares for me but rather I'm thinking "why do they appear in my dreams so often"?? Is it because I've watched so many documentaries about them and they are stuck on my brain. 

Do you think this can also be caused by some sort of anxiety or stress? I felt little anxious when not seeing my friends for a while on the holidays and so on. What do you think?

Favorite Answer

Dreams come from things you focus on, either subconsciously or consciously. You enjoy researching information about this one incident in Columbine, and constant focus on this issue may cause all kinds of reactions.  Increased anxiety, to the extent that you neglect your schoolwork is one example..  I don't want to preach to you, but I would find a way to stop this kind of rage in children.  Perhaps you might find a job in the future where you would be helping or counseling young kids like these two you mentioned. It is better to dwell on the good people can do, rather than looking backward on the evil  which has happened in the past.  I wish you well. 

Repeated question , see reply please

too many documentaries and perhaps some scarring, you're so shell shocked by those tragedies that you never stop thinking about and so consequently they become part of your daily thinking.

If your dreams keeps happening night after night? Best bet consult a psychiatrist.

Yeah you're a bit obsessed and fearful.

• Lila

It could be because you watched so many documentaries on them so your brain becomes focused on them, sometimes things that we watch, read or listen to play out in our dreams especially if we watch/read/listen a lot on that subject. Or it could be an unconscious fear you have, our dreams are a way for our mind to make sense of fears and desires we have.