Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsOther - Pets · 2 months ago

Dog is suffering and dying, but husband won't take him to be put down. ?

Hello all. I'm in a very tough situation with no where to turn. My husband's dog is soon to be 14 years old. He was diagnosed 7 months ago with kidney disease and ultimately kidney failure. In the last few weeks, he has taken a turn for the worst. He barely eats and what he does eat, he can't hold down. His incontinence has become even more severe than what it has been the last few years which was already bad. The dog has caused thousands of dollars of damage from all the urine all over our home. He is skin and bones and is in so much pain. He can barely walk and has no energy anymore. He used to be such a happy, energetic dog. He doesn't even bark anymore. Even with all this, my husband is refusing to take him to our vet and have him put down. He is making me take care of everything, clean up all the vomit, pee, and poop while he refuses to acknowledge his suffering. He just says "he's not ready to let him go" yet. I'm sorry, but to me, that is so selfish and cruel. I can't talk to him about it because he just gets upset and starts yelling at me. He can't take it. But I don't know what else to do. I'm at the end of my rope and this whole situation has put such a strain on our marriage. He thinks I hate the dog and I don't! I just believe his quality of life isn't there and it's not fair to him or us! We keep him in our basement because of all the accidents and he's been known to bite. We have 2 small kids. Please help! 

• TK

Take the dog to your veterinarian for an evaluation and ask the vet if it is humane to keep the dog alive any longer.  Then call your husband and tell him he will have to come take the dog away from the vet's if he wants him to keep suffering, that you will not be responsible for allowing such a wonderful creature to suffer anymore. 

It is cruel. He is in pain, suffering, and needs to be let go. 

• a

He *might* divorce you, (doubt it). If he tried to take away the children, *because you didn't want the dog to suffer* he's going to have a hard time explaining that to a judge.

• keerok

It's his dog. He can't do it. Just wait. The dog will be gone before you know it.

You gotz bigger problems than the dog.

My kitty had the same condition, kidney disease and similar symptoms. As much as I loved her and couldn't bear losing her, I could not not let her suffer. It was a painful decision with the VET's advice to put her to sleep. I cared more about her pain and suffering than my emotional sorrow for her loss. Hope your husband can see it this way. Best wishes.

what is your husbands answer to your concerns?  he is seeing his dog in pain and suffering and left in the basement.....is he willing to take the dog to your vet for examination and discussing "quality of life" issues with the doc?.....perhaps your husband would take more kindly to advice given by the doctor while you express your own concerns and anxiety.

If I take the dog to the vet myself, he will divorce me. Plain and simple. As crazy as that sounds, he will. He has told me I have no say in the matter and it's his dog, not mine. That if I do anything without his approval or knowledge, that he will divorce me and take our kids. 

Then simply take the matter into your own hands and have the dog euthanised yourself that simple

I'd take the dog to the vet myself. Have you no backbone?