Poll: Do you that there are alien life forms in outer space?

Favorite Answer

No. In spite of the Frank Drake-Carl Sagan Equation. I used to though.

Odds say there have to be

• Jamie

Yes . I wonder if humans will bring back a bacterium , virus or other microorganism from some space mission that will wreak chaos on humans  . Japan just retrieved some parts of an asteroid .

Life almost certainly exists elsewhere in the universe, but no life can survive in interstellar space.

• polly

Not complex ones.

Space is really good at sterilising life & even if there are places that may have had liquid water on them & a sun star at a distance to nurture life, there are so many events that will make life there unsustainable 

My feelings are pretty well summed up in the movie "Contact" when Jodie Foster's character (as a young girl) asks her dad if he thought there were people on other planets, and he says,

"I don't know, Sparks. But I guess I'd say if it is just us... seems like an awful waste of space."

Actually, I would add that anybody who thinks it's just us in the universe is being pretty damned arrogant and needs to get over themselves.