Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesGenealogy · 2 months ago

Can someone from Ireland have the surname McDonald even if mostly Scottish  some in Ireland with that surname is a common Irish surname?  ?

Update:

I met a few attractive women with a name related Scottish McDonald clan or Irish McDonald clan

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago
    Favorite Answer

Yes, it's both Irish and Scottish.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Yes, that is possible because the Irish and Scottish are Celts and have similar ancestral languages and cultures.  However, people have been moving around the world for thousands of years.  You cannot assume someone from Ireland is 100% Irish because they are from Ireland.  Most people arent't.

For example, the average person from Spain is only 55% Spanish.  In Ireland, people have Spanish, Welsh, French, Portuguese, English and other ancestries dating back hundreds of years. On the census I put my ethnicity as "American" but I am only 15% Native American, so ethnicity for the most part is chosen and made up.

Also remember, people have been cheating on each other probably since humans first appeared on the Earth.  That means that you have no guarantee that the last name you received from your father is the actual last name that was passed down from each of your male ancestors for many generations.

• 2 months ago

Yes.                                                                                                                                                                                                                      

• Ludwig
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

No.  That name is a registered trademark of the McDonald's Corporation.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Maxi
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Mc/MacDonald is a surname anglicised from the Scottish Gaelic and Irish Gaelic MacDhòmhnaill or Dòmhnallach...meaning 'son of Donald'.... it is a patronym name from both Scotland and Ireland equally...so when surnames were taken the surname was given/taken based on the fathers given name...it has nothing to do with anicent 'clans'

• Pearl
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

anything is possible

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.