Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Games & RecreationHobbies & Crafts · 2 months ago

Can you make thread out of old clothes?

You know how machines spin bobbins, can I put a loose thread of a shirt there and have it spin until the shirt turns into thread?

I don't mean yarn, I mean thin pieces of string. This way I can have a perfect color match with something I'm sewing instead of having to go all the way to the store to buy one color I may never use again.

Favorite Answer

Sorry, it won't work.  The warp and weft threads of woven fabric are not normally long enough or strong enough to be used separately as thread.  You can technically pull a hand-knit garment apart and reuse the yarn, but even that is not particularly practical (and wouldn't produce 'thread').  Anyway, there is no real reason to have a perfect color match when you are sewing inside seams. The stitches don't ever show unless you are using a top-stitch, or some sort of decorative stitch or overlock on the outside of the garment. An old instructor of mine used off-white/ecru for almost every purpose, and nobody ever complained - because the thread was never visable. Save your money and buy matching thread only when you know it's going to show when wearing the product.

Like many other people who inhabit the fiber arts world, I am a craft supply hoarder. I don’t seek out useful things such as glitter glue and puff paint, nor do I have only pretty things like fancy stitch markers and an attic full of natural fiber yarn. What do I hoard the most? Trash. Garbage. Recycling. Those 4-inch long yarn scraps that you trim off a finished piece after weaving in your ends? I save those. Old pizza boxes? If it’s not greasy, I’m easy! There are infinite ways in which you can turn seemingly useless junk into art – and sometimes that art can even be functional!

Our steady requirement for new garments gives up a ton of old garments, making a gigantic pile of texture squander. Americans toss out 13.1 million tons of materials every year, of which 11 million tons winds up in landfills.

Seattle startup Evrnu offers another option: reusing that takes old dress and makes totally new yarn for new attire. Its cycle utilizes dissolvable to transform cottons and different textures into mash which it at that point expels through a fine channel, somewhat like how water is pushed out through a shower head.

A few major brands, as H&M and Eileen Fisher, presently reclaim garments in their stores. However, Evrnu fellow benefactor Stacy Flynn says they don't really have second uses for it. "It's accumulating and they don't generally have a clue how to do it. We have places for garments to go, similar to clothes, protection, floor coverings, and those sorts of things. Yet, recovery has not been marketed at this point."

• a

Many sewists do most of their construction with shades of gray thread.

I sew for a living. I have lots of spools of thread, but the only time it really makes a difference is top-stitching.  Everything is hemmed with grays and medium browns.

No, you can't really do that. The fabric is woven together pretty tightly. You would have to manually undo hundreds or thousands of interwoven stitches for each strand of thread, and the threads are so thin and tiny you'd probably just break the thread at every stitch if you did manage to see them. The bobble on your machine would either do nothing or just pull the whole shirt up. If you have a shirt with loose thread that you can almost pull off by hand without it breaking, then maybe it could possible work.

• drip

Shirts fibers are not the same as thread. The fibers in the shirt are going to be short. They are woven together. 

Sorry this isn’t going to work.