Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

How bad was the New Orleans Superdome destroyed by Katrina and the refugees?

Just curious. I was 11 so I remember it happening, but I don't remember much about the Superdome except the big hole in the roof that created a spotlight effect.

• 28AKO

google search it

The Super Dome was badly damaged by Katrina, but it did protect the people inside the building (yes, the 'Dome is a building).  I have friends & relatives who were inside the 'Dome at the time. Environmental conditions became really bad once the power & water failed but there was not the chaos the media was reporting at the time. The media was reporting speculation and rumors about gun battles and mass rape inside the 'Dome but it was all lies. There were eight people who died but seven were from natural causes aggravated by the environmental conditions (mostly the heat) and one suicide. 

The false reporting about chaos & violence in post-Katrina  New Orleans had practical effects. For example, a  National Guard air traffic control unit left behind their atc equipment so they could bring additional weapons and ammunition. When they got to New Orleans they found no one to fight but a sky full of helicopters needing air traffic control. 

Perhaps you should look at what actually happened; destruction caused by the weather is not the same as the outcome suffered by the people there.