Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelUnited KingdomLondon · 2 months ago

Why is my friend stubborn about visiting London ?

So I’m a Londoner studying in a university about 3 hours outside of London and when I met a man who is from rural Peak District  I’ve asked him whenever or not he wants to visit london he said ‘ummm maybe ehhh I don’t know’. When I’ve asked him again he said ‘umm london is in tier 4 and it’s too crowded’ and then I said ‘what about after lockdown’ and he said ‘maybe’ 

Maybe he has no interest in London? And doesn't want to say anything bad about the city so he says maybe. Instead of saying no, he said maybe to be more polite. If he doesn't want to visit London when it's safe again then let him be. He doesn't have to visit London at all. Prior to the pandemic, one of my colleagues would pester me about my weekend travels to Europe, she always kept asking me when will I travel to her country? And I always say 'maybe' or 'we will see'. Since it'll be very rude to say how I was feeling and she might get offended...Since I had no interest or plans to visit her home country.

• Tavy

There is no end to tier 4 at the moment and he is not allowed to visit is he?

Or don't  you understand what 4 means?

Perhaps they genuinely just have no interest in visiting.

Hang on, I'll just consult my crystal ball 

Why do people ask questions like this?

We don't know this man; we cannot read his mind.  How can we say what's going on with him?

Maybe he just doesn't like urban areas. Some people don't. Maybe he's not at all that interested in YOU. Maybe he just can't think far enough ahead to "after lockdown". He said "Maybe,' not "No," which is a reasonable answer if he's not sure, and he's allowed not to be sure.

But we really can't say.  Again, we've never met this person.

He doesn’t want to go. Take the hint. 🙄