Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

? asked in Politics & GovernmentImmigration · 4 months ago

Is Cancun Mexico overall safe for American tourists?

Next year my family is planning a trip to Cancun Mexico for Christmas to look at the beautiful beaches, hotels, resorts and tourist attractions. I did hear Mexico is not safe in most parts due to the Drug Cartels, high crime rate, targeting of American citizens, and corrupt Police. Cancun however is a popular tourist city, so how dangerous can it be and what precautions would you advise?.

5 Answers

Relevance
  • ZED
    Lv 6
    4 months ago
    Favorite Answer

Simple answer, yes. BUT obviously, if you look for trouble, it’s just around the corner. You are safe. Don’t go wondering in dark alleys. Always make sure you see you drink being made. Then, don’t leave it alone. Unless you are with friends but just in case, if you go to the bathroom, put a napkin on top. Overall it is safe for tourist from all over the world, including Americans. Like I said, use your common sense, and you’ll be good. You will have a good time. This includes being mules, even if it’s in Mexico, they do have almost up to date equipment to locate drugs. A buddy legit, forgot to he had about 4 grams of blow in an inside pocket in one of his jeans. But he forgot about it so he acted normal all the way home, Cancun, Miami,  and Boston. He was doing his laundry, he found a nice surprise. Hahaha... 

• Foofa
    Lv 7
    4 months ago

Cancun has had some problems but if you stay on the resort property and don't try to wander around the city you'll probably be okay. That's okay in terms of crime. The fact that COVID-19 is exploding in Mexico right now is another issue entirely. They can't even manage to test more than about 5% of the country so I don't think they're going to be able to conduct some major vaccination program. 

• pol6ca
    Lv 4
    4 months ago

Stay on resort and be OK, The Mexicans will even discourage going out on your own.

• Pearl
    Lv 7
    4 months ago

i would hope its safe

• Kieth
    Lv 7
    4 months ago

Never leave the resort, and never leave the women by themselves.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.