Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsCats · 1 month ago

Can a Vet come to do make cat neutering at home? My cats can't be taken to clinic as he is afraid of strange ppl. He'll ruin whole clinic ?

Or possibly run away. Can I ask vet to give home visit for neutering? I didn't asked my vet because he is always very busy & I think my question is kinda stupid because it's surgery. I'm not sure if it could be performed at home 

Oh for God's sake, you can't be serious with this question.

No. Because the procedure should be done in a sterile environment which means it is a controlled environment, no presence of microorganisms and any other factor that can compromise the safety of your pet.

• a

Nope. Not gonna happen. If something went wrong, wouldn't you want the vet to have everything s/he might need available? 

Your cat is afraid of strange people? News flash, most cats don't like new people.

You won't walk your cat into the clinic in your arms. You *will* be required to have her in a secure carrier. In fact, it's quite likely *YOU* won't be allowed in the clinic. (Covid and all)  Just had my cat given her yearly shots, and this is how it works:

You call and make an appointment. Put your cat in her carrier. You will drive to the clinic, and park in the parking lot. Make note of the number of your parking spot - call the clinic from your car, and you'll be asked for your credit or debit card to pay for the procedure. A tech will come out and take the carrier into the office. 

Every procedure takes place in a closed room, and your cat is unconscious. Even if someone was coming in or going out (and they're not - Covid, so ONLY THE TECHS ARE ALLOWED IN) your cat, in a closed room, won't be running away. they will observe her for a little while, then put her back in the carrier.

When the cat comes to, you will be called. You will go to the clinic, and a tech will bring your carrier and cat to your car, with instructions for her after-care. Then you drive home with a spayed kitty.

If you're thinking people just walk in and the animals wander all over the waiting room, you're having some kind of fantasy. It isn't like that, and never was.

If your next question is to ask what to do 'because your cat doesn't like carriers,' you're out of luck. Every vet I've dealt with requires them. The trick is to tip the carrier so the opening is on top, lower your cat in and fasten it, and s-l-o-w-l-y tip it back down to a normal position.

Call your vet and ask if they can give you tranquilizer pills or CBD for your visit. Put your cat on a leash or in a kennel. 

When you get this cat home, teach her to be around people. Google it, if you don't know how.

Surgery must be done in a sterile environment. Call and make an appointment for her surgery and be prepared to pay for it that day. 

• TK

That's why you take the cat to the vet in a secure container.  Tell the staff that the cat is feral and they'll know how to handle it. 

If he's "afraid of strange people", then how well is a housecall going to work??

He actually CAN go to a clinic.  Put him in a carrier.  Vets handle fearful animals all the time.   No, he will not "ruin the clinic", nor will he "run away".

Vets dont do neuters as housecalls.   They need a sterile environment, and they dont haul around anaathesia equipment.

If you can get your cat into a carrier. The vet can handle your cat. There is a long tube like contraption that can basically shoot(although it is not shot per say. I want to clear that up before the know-it-all blowhards chime in)a sedative. Administer might be a better word.

• *****

No, surgery cannot be done in your home. Take your cat to the vet in a carrier. I promise they have successfully handled cats that are more fearful than yours and there will not be a problem. If needed, they can sedate your cat in the carrier, or may give you a tranquilizer to administer at home before you bring him.

• Maxi

No, put your cat into a secure carrier and take it down to the vets for the booked appointment...inform the vet/vet tech of your concerns and they will deal with your cat without issue........ many vets deal with and neuter feral cats without issues, so a pet cat will not be a problem

If you are too thick to phone the vet and ask, then you are too thick to own a cat.