Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Using stretching board as fleshing board?

I am looking forward into learning how to tan animal hides. Specifically racoon as I coon hunt and they are in abundance in my area. One of the items I see online as to being most important when tanning a hide is the fleshing beam or board. Holds it in a spot to where it's easier to cut flesh off. But I only have enough money for a wooden stretcher board and some tanning solution. I have plenty of skinning knives and I think with these I can tan it. Will a stretcher board double as a fleshing board?

2 Answers

Relevance
  • ?
    Lv 7
    4 months ago
    Favorite Answer

Check the price of Raccoon pelts. I think they are about $28 for prime. Also depends on what climate you are in, that determines the value to a furrier. If(?) you REALLY want some good money, learn how to make "Coon Skin Hats", they top $250 each these days.

I always wanted a Coyote or Wolf skin hat myself. Ruined the Coyote I shot for that though darn it. (.22/250 at 600 yards was pretty hard on it)

If you are gonna shoot Raccoons for pelts a shotgun OR .17 caliber rifle is what you use. Check website to see the high prices of a REAL Coon Skin Hat, might be inspiration to learn to make them.

https://www.furhatworld.com/mountain-man-fur-hats-...

• 4 months ago

Hunting is a cruel thing. It’s Christmas. Don’t hunt!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.