Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

? asked in Politics & GovernmentImmigration · 4 months ago

I'm from Canada, Ontario and I want to move to the U.S. how do I apply for citizenship?

I love Ontario but I have no one here. My parents are both out of my life and I'm very close to homelessness. I have an uncle in Virginia who said he will let me live with him and his daughter until I can get back on my feet. He also told me he will help me find a better job. I feel like he's the only family I have left and he's always been successful. He would send my parents money to take care of me when I was younger. He technically took care of me and his own family in Virginia. His wife passed away a couple years ago and he lives with his daughter who's around my age. I'm 24. I want to go reside there permanently. What should I do? I'm tired driving all the way there once in a while. I feel like that is my real home. I will he going to Virginia for Christmas to spend it with my uncle and cousin. Thinking about driving back haunts me because I don't want to be back here. How should I start?


Yes I'm a Canadian citizen by the way. 

Update 2:

On top if it all, this pandemic made me lose my second job. I have one and I barely make enough to eat. I lost a lot of weight and I'm underweight. In 6 months, I don't think I will even have a home anymore. I want this to be quick as possible. I want to stay with my uncle. I'm a female if anyone wants to know.

Update 3:


I really am going to see my uncle for Christmas. I don't care what you have to say. I want to be closer to my uncle, that's all. If he was here, I wouldn't come on here asking for help. 

Update 4:

Its not even about me wanting to be in America. Its about me wanting to be closer to my only family. I feel like virginia is a cool state and I would like to live there. It feels more like home and the people my uncle lives around are extremely nice. If I didn't have family there, I would never think of leaving. I want a fresh start with people who can support me. America literally looks like Canada. There's only minor differences. Its not about me wanting a green card to be an American. 

8 Answers

  • 4 months ago
    Favorite Answer

    Unless you are independently wealthy, obtain a fiancé/fiancée visa, or have immediate family already in America who will act as sponsors you will need a job + a work visa to move to the USA. You need a sponsor (employer) for a work visa - you can't apply for one on your own.

    A work visa is not an immigrant visa, but it CAN maybe, eventually lead to permanent residence.

    Canadians do have an advantage and can work in the USA on TN status, but not all occupations qualify:

    Check with US companies in Canada and Canadian companies with offices in the USA. For example, Hilton and Marriott hire international staff as interns. Canadian citizens can visit the USA with only a valid passport, so you could travel for interviews & tests if necessary. Do NOT say anything about a job or work to the US Immigration Officer when entering as a tourist unless it is about your occupation in your home country.

    Search "international exchange programs USA" and there should be many links to programs that offer temporary and seasonal work in the US.

    Examples are:

    Do carefully check any programs you might be interested in as not all of them are a good deal. Another option is to go to school in the USA.

    Consider attending university in the USA. Canadians do not need an actual US student visa and you MAY be able to work on-campus. Time spent in the USA as a student does not count toward permanent residency. However, an advanced degree from a USA university in a STEM field will make applying for jobs easier and a job can be a path to permanent resident status. You can apply for citizenship after five years as a permanent resident (three years if married to a US citizen).

    Going to school in the US will also help you decide if you really want to move here: If you decide to go to university in the USA the first step is to identify several schools you might want to attend and make contact with their offices of international students. For example:

    Good luck!

  • 4 months ago

    There is NO way your uncle or your cousin can sponsor your immigration. IF you properly qualified & could find a job with a qualified employer, you might get a temporary employment visa. What degrees do you hold in which field from which universities where? What post-master's experience do you have doing what, exactly, how well & how long for whom where? Can you compete with 100-1000 other applicants from around the world to get that one job?That's the best you can hope for. You obviously, from info in your post, do NOT qualify for investor visa or National Interest Waiver. You are going to have to make your life in Canada.

  • Maxi
    Lv 7
    4 months ago

    None of what you have said will allow you a visa to live in the US let alone apply for a green card or citizenship.

    Your uncle is being niave if he thinks you can live with him and he can get you a job... that would be illegal

  • 4 months ago

    Research the visa requirements, or see if family can sponsor you (this route will take about a decade)

  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Lisa A
    Lv 7
    4 months ago

    You need your US citizen parent, sibling, spouse, or child over 21 years old to sponsor you.

  • Anonymous
    4 months ago

    You need to find a job and get your employer to sponsor you for a visa.  In order for this to happen, you need to be a skilled professional with a specific job skill that's both in demand and hard to fill.

  • y
    Lv 7
    4 months ago

    That's funny, last month just saw record breaking applications of US citizens wanting to move north.

  • ?
    Lv 7
    4 months ago

    Weak story, bro', especially with the border closed to non-essential losers. FAIL!!!


    I know you're trapped in her basement, but maybe check in with moms to see what you can do to be of use around the house, yeah? Just a thought, honey. Good luck!!!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.