Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationCommuting · 3 months ago

Do people usually sit in their car when idling it in the morning, or do they usually go back inside?

• ?
    Favorite Answer

Most smart people who know anything about modern cars know that you do not start the car and let it idle, you start it, put on your seatbelt, and drive away. Letting it idle is not the correct thing to do. 

Warming up cars tha is pre WW2 Like the 3000 Mile oil change

Not needed in 2021

• F

I suppose it depends where you live and the likely hood of someone stealing your car.

Insurance won’t normally pay out if you leave the car unattended and running.

HaHa - - I moved from cold Ohio to Florida.  Yes, computer-controlled fuel injected cars are ready to go in about any weather and 5-20 oil flows easily - but in cold weather mine will "idle" at about 1400 rpm on starting . . I wait until the computer starts reducing rpms to 800 or so - less than a minute but I don't like engaging the gears at high rpm.

Have to laff:  it went down to 50 DEGREES last night !!!! I took my morning walk and saw a number of people running out to start their cars then retreating back inside while they warmed . . . . . they think 50 degrees is cold ????

Absurd question. Nobody here can speak for the majority because no one here has ever taken a meaningful statistical survey that would be an accurate approximation of the truth.  I don't pretend to know what most people do, and anyone who says they know is merely guessing. 

I don't idle my car unless I have to scrape ice off the windows or remove snow. In that case I start the engine and let it idle then I get out and start scraping the ice off the windows. I do the windshield first, then I turn on heater on the defrost setting to finish melting any spots I missed while I scrape the rest of the windows.

If its just cold but the windows aren't covered in ice or snow, then I just get in, start the car, turn on the heated seat and drive away, I can live with the cold for the couple minutes that it takes for the seat to heat up and the heater to start blowing warm air. Modern fuel injected engines do not need to be warmed up.

Depends on the person and where they live.  I have lived in places where if you left your car idling for 30 seconds with no one in it, it would be stolen.  I have also lived in rural areas were the nearest person is four miles down the road and my driveway is almost a mile long.  It would be safe to leave the car running all the time and no one would steal it.

I go back inside, the point of starting it is to not have to sit in a cold car when first leaving the house.