Did Hitler have a gun license?

It makes me think some times, if Hitler was not in the army himself, how did he have a gun? I know he was the commander of the army but I know that he also did not fight in the war against the bad guys so how did he kill himself with a gun if he did not have a gun license?

• xyzzy
    Favorite Answer

He did not need a license. Under the 1938 German Weapons Act, holders of annual hunting permits, government workers, and NSDAP (the National Socialist German Workers' Party) members (Hitler was the head of the party) were no longer subject to gun ownership restrictions. Prior to the 1938 law, only officials of the central government (Hitler was the head of the government), the states, and employees of the German Reichsbahn Railways were exempted.

Post WWI, Hitler is known to have owned a pistol as early as 1919.  

• F

OMG! If only someone had checked Hitlers gun licence, WW2, would never had happened .

I’m no historian, but I don’t think you needed a gun license back then :/

I think Hitler had anything he wanted.  I personally doubt they had gun licenses in Germany during Hitler's time.  I would say Hitler always carried a gun when out and about as there were something like 40 attempts to assassinate him from the late 1920s until Hitler committed suicide.

Uhm...?  Hitler fought in WWI in the German Army, but between wars, he didn;t necessarily have a gun.  He was a politician, and like Trump, he rose to power by ordering others to attack his opponents.  Once he was the supreme ruler of Germany, no laws really applied to him, and he was the commander of the German armed forces, so had a gun available to him anytime he wanted.  

"how did he kill himself with a gun if he did not have a gun license"

Think it through – how is anyone going to charge a dead man for not having a license? Selbstmord was a crime in Germany.

No it never needed one

Would you want to be the cop that tries to arrest Hitler, keeping he is surrounded by the SS bodyguard detachment who'd job it is to defend him?

I bet Bondi didn't even have a dog licence.

I don't know about WW2 but he was a soldier in WW1.  During that war he was temporarily blinded in a gas attack, which some consider to be the reason he always refused permission for his forces to use chemical warfare weapons.  That didn't stop him from gassing the Jews of course, I'm not implying that he was a nice guy because he definitely wasn't.  Unfortunately his life was saved by a Jewish soldier in WW1