Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Are you proud to be an American where at least you know you're free?

Update:

This was most definitely sarcasm. It's the chorus to a patriotic Lee Greenwood song. I agree with you almost completely. I myself am not as swift to look to a nation's past and consider historic atrocities as a fault against said nation. If that's a character deficiency of my own, then I will accept that. Thanks for answering! 

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 months ago
    Favorite Answer

Is this sarcasm? This sounds like sarcasm. I don't know how anyone can be proud of being any ethnicity or nationality. In most cases, you did nothing to earn that, you were just born that way. I suppose there are people who work hard to immigrate as skilled persons and there's merit in that, but aside from that, it's just luck of the draw.

Patriotism, on the other hand, is something I can't ascribe to. How could anyone be proud of their country, knowing its bloody history and atrocities governments committed? America was founded on the slaughter of the indigenous, and sure, it's not the only place this happened and there is good that came out of it (such as all the good things we have currently), but still, not something to be proud of. There's a long history of slavery and worker exploitation in America, including indentured servitude of white people. Yes, white people in America were slaves. Then take a look at Vietnam, Korea, Japan, Indonesia etc. The USA has a history replete with supplying arms for genocides like in East Timor or committing terrorism -- I mean spreading democracy. Take the No Gun Ri massacre in Korea for example, or the war crimes in Vietnam or the nuking of Japanese civilians... twice. Nazi war criminals/scientists were pardoned for intel. The US even experimented (horribly) on their own citizens, particularly children, the mentally ill and sick. They still spy on their citizens and consider Snowden a traitor for exposing illegal activity. The list of atrocities and harmful illegal activities is long. It's hard to justify any patriotism when factoring in all of this.

This is not to single out the US, btw. All countries have their fair share of atrocities and misdeeds. Which is why it's hard to embrace a patriotic viewpoint. To me, patriotism is for those who don't know true freedom. We're all Earthlings, aren't we? Why be proud of one land mass over the other and chain ourselves to it?

However, this is not to minimize or ignore all the beneficial advancements coming from the US. If we're selective with out patriotism, then maybe I could understand it.

I could understand people being proud of certain aspects of their respective countries, like popular food, having one of the strongest economies, lowest unemployment rates, having the longest life expectancy, best healthcare, education, or whatever.

• 4 months ago

No, I am a proud Canadian and we have freedom here hun.

Even more than the US I think.

• ?
    Lv 7
    4 months ago

I am not American, but  am a free brit.

• Kathy
    Lv 7
    4 months ago

Yes I am proud to be an American.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 4 months ago

No I'm proud to be a brit.

• 4 months ago

Yes And I promise 

I won't forget the men who died who gave that right to me 

• 4 months ago

Freedom to an extent is a false construct

• 4 months ago

sure. no matter what some people might say, america is one of the best countries to have the luck of being born in

• Anonymous
    4 months ago

Yes... we are free to die if we want to die.

• Anonymous
    4 months ago

YES OF COURSE AND I AM A VETERAN!!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.