Tanner asked in PetsCats · 3 months ago

I'm new to owning a cat and I'm not sure how to manage my cats litter box.?

the main thing I'm concerned about is how often I'm cleaning it. so far I've done every 4 days i take a plastic bag from the grocery store that I've stocked up on and collect all of the poop and throw it out and replace the litter every 3 weeks. I've seen online that you'r suppose to do it once or twice a day but i don't want to just waste bags and i dont want to put them it the trash can in my house because then it is going to start smelling and I'm not sure what to do

Scooping it everyday or every other day should be fine. It would be good if you had two litter boxes for one cat then add a litter box for every new cat you get. Also change the litter monthly. Have had cats for nine years and the extra litter boxes stops my one cat from peeing outside of the box. 

Sift the sand every day & replace the sand monthly. Tie off the bag & place it in the trash can outside.

• a

Keep doing that and the cat will find a cleaner place to do it's business.

I have one of those trash receptacles with a lid that opens up when you step on the pedal. I line the plastic bin inside with two small shopping bags. Litter box gets cleaned once or twice a day, and the double-bagged litter is taken away by the trash people once a week. BTW, I don't haul that waste bin out of the closet twice a day. I scoop the dirty litter into a designated dustpan, and carry that to the bin.

My current cat isn't crazy. Last cat wanted a clean box to urinate / defecate every time. She had lots of boxes. She actually got used to urinating in an empty box, which I'd tip into the toilet, rinse out, and put back down.

• Bec

You need to be scooping way more than 4 days. You should scoop it at last once a day, add new litter when necessary and a full clean about monthly (more so if it needs it). I use clumping litter so I scoop any solids out daily, add in another cupfull of litter (to keep a good amount in otherwise it sticks to the bottom of the tray like crazy and do a full change/clean about monthly.

I put the dirty litter straight in the wheelie bin outside (no bag - just chuck it in) or you could get a small bathroom bin, put a bin bag in it, keep it outside and just empty that when full to limit the bag use

*I use a spare litter tray (although currently a margarine tub) to scoop into, then tip it in the bin outside - saves walking around with poo on a scoop!

Get one of those special waste receptacles for the waste-it keeps the odor to nothing and you empty when its filled (there is a bag cartridge) into the trash can outside (you knot it closed), it's like the old diaper ones. You need to scoop at least once a day. If not more. And they need litter far more than that.

first of all get your cat neutered because that weakens the smell of urine and prevents the cat from spraying all over your house to attract a mate. both males and females do this. remove all eliminated waste from the box every day and put it in a waste bag.i use the large doggie bags and a scooper that has no holes. this way i can pick up all elimination and nothing drops back into the box. after you clean it all out add some fresh litter. i use a tall litter box with a lid. i do not change it every week but i do wash down the walls twice a week or when necessary. the box is dumped and washed if  it becomes necessary. you'll know if it does. your cat can smell so much better than we do and like their box to be clean. i love cats and so will you. enjoy your cat, they are awesome creatures. clumping litter is better than clay litter

Why not use some tissue to pick up the poop and flush it down your toilet.  Try to avoid picking up the expanding cat litter, as it may cause your toilet to block.  You could try shaking corn flour over the wee soaked litter, as this will soak it up and form a clump, which will be easily removed to your household refuse bag and may stop smells.  Don't leave your bin in the sun, put it in a shaded area and it's less likely to smell and try to buy environmentally friendly litter that biodegrades.

Put the cat in the bag before you throw it away and then you'll never have to empty it again. 

use the bags you get from the store that you put vegetables or fruit in. you can get cheap bags from amazon.

I recommend a Litter Genie.  It's a great product for cleaning the litter box and avoiding dealing with the smells.  We had an adult cat and recently got a pair of kittens, who are poop machines.  I bought a pair of litter genies and they really helped.  The XL holds the most, but the design is kind of awkward.  The Plus is designed better, but doesn't hold as much.  But if you only have one cat it shouldn't be an issue.  You scoop the poop, put it in the Litter Genie, it seals off the compartment with the poop in it so it doesn't smell.  And on garbage day you remove the bag and replace it.  It has plastic liners.

https://littergenie.com/