Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelAsia PacificKorea · 3 months ago

Do I even have chance to be a kpop idol?

I'm 20 right now. I'm from Malaysia and I can speak basic Korean, Chinese, Japanese and of course English. I'm a Chinese Malaysia. Let's say if I take vocal lessons to improve will that improve my chances of getting in? About my body I'm 156-158ish and my weight is 45kg and I have thin body frame almost similar to blackpink Jennie's except she's taller. Will I even get to be one at all? I mean there are idols who get in at 21 and debut straight away. And there are also who gets in younger than me but debut like 23.

As of currently I'm average looking and talent wise I'm average as well. But if I improve on my talent will I stand a chance to get in at all? 

I kind of have some understanding on what they're looking for like either you have really good looks/visuals but your talent is average they'll accept, where if you have good talent but look average they'll accept. But now I'm like average-average. Will I get to get in if I improve my talent?

• ?
    Favorite Answer

Korea is an extremely homogeneous country. While there are some foreigners in K-Pop, they are few and far between. You claim that your looks and your level of talent are average. You might be able to work on your singing and dancing, but there's not much that can be done about your looks. You claim to speak basic Korean, but I'm guessing that's your assessment and a native speaker of Korean would likely find your command of the language to be subpar.

There are over 50 million people in this country, and approximately 97 percent of them are Korean. There are also millions of people around the world who are ethnically Korean, who already speak Korean fluently. Many of the people who are accepted as trainees have been singing and dancing for most of their lives. They have been operating at the semi-professional level for years before applying to or being picked up by a Korean entertainment company.  

I'm sure that there's a music industry in Malaysia. If you want to sing and dance, try to do it in your own country. No Korean entertainment company is going to extend an offer to a foreigner of average looks and talent when there are millions of talented, gorgeous people here already. If performing is your dream, that's fine. But you won't be doing it in Korea.  

yea just go there ND ROLLL THE STAGE !$ YEAR OLD KPOP FANS WILL LOVE IT THEY LOVE UNDERWEIGHT WHITE BOIS OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOh