Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationMaintenance & Repairs · 1 month ago

Does shifting from reverse to drive at a slow speed with an auto damage the transmission?

Sometimes I can be a little too careful with my car. I'm unemployed so I can't afford a new transmission if I mess this one up. But other times, I just don't have the patience to stop and shift so I slow down, shift and then accelerate.

If it is still damaging my transmission, how is it damaging it mechanically? My car is an 09 so its not the newest, but if I am reversing at a fast speed, I definitely come to a complete stop, but if I am reversing at a more slower or calmer speed, I sometimes may shift to drive while in motion. But are car transmission not designed to work with shifting while in motion?

It does put some strain on the tranny. Ford had a problem with cracking their  transmissions back in the early 60's when the car was placed in drive while still moving in reverse. The cracked case caused reverse to slip when backing up but not forward. The solution was to replace the trans or just take it easy going in reverse to try to keep it from slipping. I drove a 1961 Ford Galaxy like this for 10 years!   

YES. Shifting from reverse to any forward gear, or vice versa, while moving at any speed, causes some damage. Your description of your actions is PATENTLY ABSURD. I don't believe you drive AT ALL.

It generally doesn't hurt the transmission to shift into drive while the car is rolling back *slowly* because there aren't any hard mechanical links between anything in the transmission. The slow engagement of the clutches and the slop of the torque converter absorb any speed differentials.

On the other hand, as 'The Bax' pointed out - If it is jolting suddenly, you are still causing wear and tear to motor mounts and other components, and if you need this car to last, you should probably be patient and take the extra time to fully stop before shifting.

With older cars it can. My 1998 Corolla will not go into reverse while moving forward. The computer knows better.

Go ahead.  You deserve the damage you make. Read the owner's manual.  They had to do that to fly into space or HAL has the right to close the door on DAVE.  "YOU HURT ME DAVE, so now I am going to revive the chick that came up with you and she is going to get a real hosing.  You can have sloppy seconds, Dave.   The buttons that say "shut off HAL" are there just for your amusement.  "Bye Dave"

YESP! My computer has a LISP. LOL DON't DO IT! 

Shifting fast from forward to reverse or reverse to a forward gear while moving will wear out the motor mounts, axles joints and put extra stress on the tranny parts. You can't fix stupid....makes a fella wonder what other dumb things you do.

Quote: "I just don't have the patience to stop and shift "

.

Comment: If that's the case, you're a huge dumbass.

.

But, to answer youir question, it depends on the age of the vehicle in question. Many newer cars have a "reverse inhibit switch" that doesn't allow it to happen. Older cars don't and, yes, the transmission CAN be damaged. 

.

So, don't be an idiot. Come to a full stop first. It doesn't cost but a second or two. . 

• CB

Doesn't hurt a thing - we used to take an old early 70s coronet and a 74 Nova 350 and go in reverse quite fast then slam it into drive and get the tires burning -- never hurt the tranny not sure what stick is up the butt of anon.....you are doing no harm.

No it's not designed for that, you're slowly breaking your car because you are stupid and impatient. Good luck with the transmission issues in a few years.

Source(s): Imagine being unemployed and damaging your vehicle at the same time because you want to get somewhere 0 seconds sooner. It'll be pretty hard to get places once your transmission starts slipping.