Registering vehicle in IL without title?

Hi there,

So I do have a question. There is a pretty nice car for sale near me but the owner does not have the title.

The guy who’s selling it, the car was his best friend’s fathers car who passed away, and he was instructed to sell the car.

If I do decide to purchase this vehicle, what is the possibility of me being able to register the vehicle in my name and get a title? Can I apply for a lost/duplicate title in Illinois?

Thank you!

16 Answers

  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

    No title means no ownership. If he's really the owner, he can get a new title from the DMV.

    Next time, just give me your money &  won't give you a car. Sound fair?

  • 2 months ago

    This sounds troll AF - but just in case.


    If they want to sell the car, they can apply for a lost title, and once they have it, THEN and ONLY THEN consider buying the car.

  • garry
    Lv 5
    2 months ago

    its easy to register a car in ill , just take proof of ownership , it can be a sale document or a proof of ownership , after all you bought the car , wheres the receipt ..

  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

    Why should YOU have to do all the leg work? If the seller was legally allowed to sell it, then all that paperwork would be THERE.   But it ain't.

     This is a CON.   You would be giving money to a stranger who has nothing to do with the car, basically a guy on the street hearing you want to get rid of some cash.  He will take your cash if you are just handing it out. Present received..."now fluck off, I don't know what you are talking about because all the money has Jeffersons on them, so are owned by the government Treasury.  None of it is YOUR money as it is in MY POCKET; MY BANK ACCOUNT; etc.  It fell out of the sky into my hands. For telling a "Tale".  Not the one about "Fools and their money are soon parted"

    .  You wanted to hear the story about this car. So I made up schit as I told the story and "YOU believed me"   That is not my fault as you "gifted" me with money.  You cannot prove you ever had the money.  I do not know who you are or what you are talking about.  I can promise you the world, but I do not have to have to pay delivery costs in ADVANCE...which I will pay to the delivery company. Just hand me your cash NOW.  Trust my word.    Words= a group of sounds-aka: hot air.

    There are plenty of pretty cars for sale AND they have the TITLE in the car.

    Why gamble with weirdo? HE knows he is suppose to have the paperwork.  He doesn't for a reason.

    If you do go ahead and purchase the car, next thing is you got to register it and THAT MEANS GOING TO THE COP SHOP and have them do a "missing vehicle search" with the VIN you give them.  Being on computers now and not by mail the results will come in so fast your eyes will water.  Yes, car was reported stolen and you are in possession of the car so you are the CROOK.   Into the slammer, you go.  No lawyer is going to get you out of this because you are in possession of stolen goods.  You say there was another guy that you gave "imaginary money" to.  That guy can't be found. (he is smarter than you and is laying low).

    . You are the one holding the goods...cops and judges have heard every imaginable store concocted - you ain't getting out. Grand theft auto carries a hefty sentence and you will get the MAXIMUM...with your luck.

    Have you never watch Judge Judy?  She cuts to the chase real fast.

  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 months ago

    Bad idea.  Only the legal owner can sell.  If the owner is deceased, someone would have to get named executor of the estate and get approval from a court to settle.  It is called probate court.

  • 2 months ago

    Nope. Steer far clear of that one unless the legal heir of the car obtains a duplicate title from the DMV. 

  • 2 months ago

    He is not "selling" anything.  If you give him money, then you are doing exactly that: giving him money.  It is a gift, not a purchase.

    A car does not become yours if you pay a person who does not have a title to that car.

    If you pay a person who does not have a title, it continues to belong to whomever owned before you paid, it does not become your car, and you cannot drive it, ever.  If you do drive it or simply move it from where it is, then you can be arrested for stealing it, because it is not your car.

    There is no possibility that you can get the title if he cannot.

    If there was any possibility of you being able to register it or get a title, then he could get a title before accepting any money from you.  If he can't get a title, then you can't either.

  • 2 months ago

    You can not apply for the title. The best friend has to get the title before the car can legally be transferred or sold.

  • 2 months ago

    The possibility is about zero.

    So unless you want a very large paperweight, you don't buy the car.

    No, you can't apply for a lost./duplicate, you aren't the owner.  If anyone could just get a duplicate, than how would we keep from getting our cars stolen everyday?

    The best friend can take the paperwork that shows he has authority to transfer the car into his own name.  Then HE can sell it and have his friend help.

  • CB
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

    Run Forest Run - that whole story wreaks of HORSESHIT. 

    A person passes away there is an executor to the estate (either by a will or by court order), that person will have power of attorney to dispose of all property of the deceased.  That person will be able to transfer titles of vehicles, real estate etc. Hence my comment above should be heeded - or you will be in for a hard row to hoe or possibly buying what could be construed or is stolen property. 

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.