? asked in Cars & TransportationCar MakesFord · 4 months ago

Is the Ford F-150 a good truck for a daily driver?

I've been looking into the new Ford F-150, and I heard Ford has the best trucks. I want truck to be able to withstand bumps and pot holes and also to have a truck to drive in the mountains. The Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport was the other truck I considered. 

Favorite Answer

I think the F-150 is a great daily driver. Yes, the gas mileage is worse than a Prius, but I'm guessing all of those people posting about gas mileage don't drive the most fuel efficient cars on the planet. I only drive about 4 miles total for my commute. I had this conversation with a person from Berkeley complaining about people that drive a truck alone to work. I then asked, well, you commute roughly 70 miles. So unless your car gets almost 300mpg you have no room to talk instead you should move closer to work.

Anyway, Ford (and most trucks) are very comfortable these days. They have a lot of options which can cost a lot of money so know what you want. But my current Ford has had no issues as of yet (knock on wood) and we are approaching 8 years old.

I choose a truck because I have things to haul/trailer on the weekends and in the mountains with snow in the winter so I definitely need a truck of some sort. I'm not going to own 2 vehicles when one serves all my needs just fine.

I would look no further than a Toyota Tacoma! Great reliable trucks that are bullet proof! The best thing about a Tacoma is you can still get one with a stick shift which is better and a lot more fun to drive than an automatic! 

A truck is for transporting cargo.  A car is  for transporting people.  Which is your priority?

FORD TRUCKS are NUMBER ONE and have a GREAT reputation! ANY TRUCK will eat MORE gas! If you are NOT moving horses, or houses, WHY A TRUCK! The SMALL ford truck is OKAY! IF you are hauling HEAVY MACHINERY get the FORD truck! The NEWER ones are MADE of ALUMINUM and Are WONDERFUL! TURBO DIESELS get the best mileage!>>>I WOUDL BE VERY TEMPTED to get a USED FORD TRUCK called the RAPTOR! It has DOUBLE shocks and is VERY SMOOTH and POWERFUL! It is NOT a real gas saver though! PERHAPS you should get TWO vehicles! BE SURE to check the FRAME FOR RUST and apply a coating of rust resister! FIND USED RAPTORS on line at CARS.COM< CARGURUS and AUTOLIST! I got my last BENZ online! WORTH IT! They even FINANCE better and many give out warranties that are NOT RIP OFFS! DODGE Truck eat GAS like crazy! The PLUGS in the FORD TRUCK engines are quite ODD IF DENSO TWIN TIP IRIDIUM LASER plugs can be used, USE THEM to get MORE PWOER an MILEAGE! >>IUT TAKES A SPECIAL TOOL to change the plugs! DOIN IT WRONG can ruin the heads and you will need a machine shop! USE PENNZOIL ULTRA PLATINUM ONLY and NEVER valvolie! 

• CB

Either one is fine, Ford after 2009 would be my choice if looking for used Toyota Tacoma is a smaller truck but very reliable. 

Terrible gas mileage for a daily driver. Unless you have a specific and regular need for a pickup truck there are better, less costly choices.