Bey asked in Family & RelationshipsFriends · 2 months ago

Was I unappreciative of my roommates efforts?

I came home to piles of picture frames. My roommate was taking photos out of books and framing them and putting them everywhere. 

She had taken my artwork and mounted them as well. I confronted her about it. I said that she should have spoken with me first. My reason was that if she tore my artwork  by mistake, if the dogs got a hold of it, anything.. the reality is that I had left them on the walls and she should have spoken. She went and undid them 

You were not being unappreciative of your roommates efforts. Your roommate needs to respect your privacy. Your things belong to you.

It takes a lot of patience and a lot of sacrifices to make it work with a roommate, much like a relationship with a spouse or partner. Nip  things in bud so they won't happen again, but do it in a nice way.

• ?

It doesn't matter if it was unappreciative or not, she did things with your stuff without talking to you about it. She needs to learn what is yours is yours to do with as you please unless you are hogging all the space.

Who knows what else to think.

• ?

"Don't mess with your roomie's stuff without permission" is a good rule. If your own roomie had adhered to that rule there wouldn't have been a problem.

• jijawm

You should have been appreciative, and sensitive to those who care for you and appreciate your creativity so much that they want to see it displayed. 

But she should also be sensitive to your feelings and privacy. Some artists are very touchy about having their innermost selves on display.

• T J

he has no rights to touch your artwork at all. She should have asked you, and done it together.

You were upset for good reason I think.  I suppose it depends how you 'confronted' her.  That covers anything from a quiet and mild rebuke to a full-blown, violently shouted accusation.  If the former you were correct.  If the latter then that was over the top.  You didn't appreciate her damaging and endangering your artwork on the wall.  It was a selfish act of hers (whether she thought she was doing a good thing or not) to remove your stuff from the wall and put them somewhere else....where SHE wanted.