Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 2 months ago

Why do Christians claim you can accept Jesus? ?

You don't accept Jesus he accepts you and has chosen his elect before the foundation of the universe. Accepting Jesus is not biblical but repenting and believing the gospel. The Bible says to repent and believe the gospel 

11 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago
    Favorite Answer

Yes, but it helps if you properly define repentance since so many misunderstand the biblical meaning of the word. NOWHERE does the Bible tell a lost person to turn from their sins in order to receive eternal life. In fact, the Gospel of John is the only book of the Bible written for the sole purpose of telling us what we must do to have eternal life (John 20:31). It mentions believing in Jesus 98 times as the only condition! Contrary to popular belief, repentance in salvation is simply a "change of mind" from unbelief to belief in Jesus Christ as Savior. Once a person understands that Jesus Christ died on the cross to pay their sin debt in full and rose again and believes in Him alone for eternal life, they will go to heaven no matter what! All of their sins (past, present, and future) are also forgiven at the moment of faith (Acts 10:43). Those who die without believing in Jesus will be cast into the lake of fire for all eternity (Rev. 20:15).

• 2 months ago

Unfortunately it was only in recent times that the biblical statement that all who RECEIVED Christ and who believed in His name would be born of the Spirit was subtly changed to "accept" (John 1:12). Up till around the 2nd half of the 20th century, Christians spoke of receiving Christ by faith. As one would receive a gift. You have to hold out your empty hand to receive a gift which is bestowed on you by the giver. "Nothing in my hand I bring, only to thy cross I cling" goes the old hymn.

Ah, but there is a subtle difference between receiving and accepting. Accepting carries with it the idea of deciding to receive something. The person who accepts a gift has decided to receive it. They think that it is up to them to do that, as the gift will not be forced on them, and that once they decide to accept a gift, the giver will be pleased with them for having done that.

This is to put the recipient in a position of some authority over the giver. And this is how many today think of themselves - as having decided to accept the gift of Christ because they like "the offer" that has been made to them. And who makes such an appealing offer? Why, modern evangelists who say you will prosper and get healing and all your prayers answered if you but decide to accept Christ. Jesus, on the other hand, warned us that we first have to renounce self and pick up our cross daily if we are to follow Him. Jesus said to the apostle, "You did not choose me, but I chose you" so read Ps 33:12, Mat 11:27, Jn 15:16-19, 1 Cor 1:27, Eph 1:4, 2 Thes 2:13 to get the full picture of how God decides who to draw to Himself, through Christ.

It is the same in 1 Cor 15:1-4 - Paul received the gospel, passed it on to the Corinthians who likewise received it in faith. They did not accept it. They received it. Few people can deal with the subtle difference here, but it is important.

• Aren't you, where to say, your usual Religious Jokes?

We have always told you that True Christians accept Jesus Christ as their personal Savior and Lord!

In this biblical context, the word says that God knew his chosen ones before he created the world:

Romans 8:29.

For those whom he has always known have also predestined to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he may be the firstborn among many brethren.

In this Biblical context, it is written that everyone invokes, Translated: *accept*, the name of the Lord Jesus.

Romans 10:12-13.

12 For there is no distinction between Jew and Greek, he being the Lord of all, rich to all who call upon him. 13 For whoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.

• 2 months ago

I accept the fact that Jesus was too lazy to get a real job.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 months ago

And yet the gospel is expressed in 1 Cor. 15:1-4, and it refutes your suggestion.

• Ralph
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

The fact of the matter: People who think that they can accept God The Lord Jesus Christ our Lord and Savior, it is a works grace gospel, that is why they think that, but all of the work was done before the foundation of the world by God The Lord Jesus Christ our Lord and Savior, who came as the lamb of God who takes away the sins of the world, read Ephesians 1:1-5, read John 1:12, read Romans 8:28, read Acts 13:48, read 1 Corinthians 1:21, read 1 Peter 1:2, read 1 Peter 1:20, read Revelation 13:8, read Revelation 17:8, read Acts 4:12, read Psalm 51:17

Source(s): King James holy bible
  • ?
    Lv 5
    2 months ago

The difference is between Arminianism and Calvinism.  That’s the single point of contrast between Protestant churches.

In a nutshell:

Arminianism claims: “Man moves first, God responds.”

Calvinism claims: “God moves first, man responds.”

Unfortunately, the nuances between those theological differences is difficult to talk about when folks get over-emotional and defensive.

• 2 months ago

Because that's what the Bible says.

Joh 1:12  But some people did accept him [Jesus]. They believed in him, and he gave them the right to become children of God. 

You'll just have to forgive Christians who go by God's word rather than yours.

Please note that accepting Jesus does NOT save anyone.  Having the right to vote doesn't make one a voter, and neither does having the right to become a child of God make one a child of God.  There's more to salvation than simply accepting Jesus, but it is a start.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

"You don't accept Jesus he accepts you". 

Cool. He knows where I live. 

• 2 months ago

What does "believing the gospel" mean to you?

You're right in saying "You don't accept Jesus he accepts you and has chosen his elect before the foundation of the universe"

Since Jesus said 

"Ye have not chosen Me, but I have chosen you, and (((ORDAINED))) you, that ye should go and bring forth fruit, and that your fruit should remain: that whatsoever ye shall ask of the Father in My name, He may give it you" (John 15:16).

You see that word (((ORDAINED?)))

Acts 1:22 says

"Beginning from the baptism of John, unto that same day that He was taken up from us, (((MUST))) one be (((ORDAINED))) to be a (((WITNESS))) with us of (((HIS RESURRECTION")))

Which was "by the POWER OF GOD" with Romans 6:4 saying

"Like as Christ was raised up by the glory of the Father" 

Which is "by the POWER OF GOD!"

Didn't Jesus say After Holy Spirit baptism (Acts 1:5) we receive (((POWER))) to be a (((WITNESS))) unto Him" (Acts 1:8)?

Don't you know that's the same (((POWER))) (Acts 1:8) or (((HIS RESURRECTION))) (Acts 1:22) we (((MUST))) receive to be a (((WITNESS))) unto Him (Acts 1:8) in order to be (((ORDAINED))) by Jesus [John 15:16] with the saints (Acts 1:22)? 

These catholic folks have fooled today's Christians right into HELL as "DEAD spirits"

(Romans 5:12-14; I Corinthians 15:21-22).

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.