Anonymous

How to discuss money or pay rate at a job interview??

They say whoever brings up the topic of money and job interview first is the loser.

I am just tired of working for minimum wage at my current company GMI and I am applying to all state security services. Located here in Southern California.

They have federal, industrial facilities and hospital perhaps doing those might be better pay or more overtime.  

I just need to know how to discuss pay without coming across greedy, and desperate.

I am aware I will most likely be doing 90 day probation period.  I am the new guy: I am aware I need to proof myself.  From being reliable, show I have what it takes to get things done.  

My experience at security job interview they will finish up ask you do you want to work today or tomorrow.  Which days and times are you available.  Then comes the tricky part we have these locations which can range from 1 location to 200. I just don't know how to go about getting the higher paying site or position.  

I would appreciate any experienced individual who can help.

Thank you.

I always see pay rate between $14 an hour to $17 I always end up with the $14.  

Do your homework and find out which place of employment has the best benefits, PTO, and things that you like such as perhaps overtime, etc. Try to get employed at that place and don't worry about starting pay. If it is a gov't agency with a great union, you will be in there hopefully.  If you don't throw your money away on frivolous things you will do just fine. 

Just wait until the interview is winding down and simply ask, if it never got brought up by the interviewer. Usually the interviewer will bring it up themselves, but if they don't then you have no recourse but to ask. They probably won't have an exact number but at this point you talk about how you are really good at this job , and all your other strengths and how you, therefore, should be at the top end of the range. The loser isn't the one who brings it up, so much as the one who names the first number. 

So, don't say "I'd be happy to do the job for $15 per hour" (maybe they were about to offer you $17 per hour). Instead say how you'd love to do this job and know you'd be great at it, but of course you already have a job and its a pretty good job too, and you just hope you will be able to take this new job, and by the way how much does it pay (doesn't matter if the price was in the intial advertisement - ask anyhow).

Ask what the pay range is and how they decide on each level.  Couple it with questions about advancement and employee retention,  moving into how often they have a turnover and what the main reason is that employees have left.  It all addresses how the business is functioning. 

• ?

If they ask you about how much you want to get payed, tell them you believe you have the experience and skills to be worth more then $14 per hour. 

If they don't bring up the subject, if you get an offer and you can negotiate for a higher pay rate, then do so.