Do vitamin/mineral and testosterone deficiency show up in lab work done for a doctor's checkup or do I have to ask for it specifically ?

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago

Very few vitamin and mineral deficiency states may show up with blood testing like a CBC in the form of anemia is deficiency is severe enough . We are talking about Vitamin B12, folate and iron. Testosterone does not. 

As far as asking for those tests then think again because testing is only approved and paid for by insurance if they are medically necessary based on a medical condition that needs to be evaluated and the proper billing codes used. One doesn't do tests just because they are curious. 

One states their symptoms and concerns to the doctor and then the doctor decides the best course with regards to testing if they are needed in arriving at a diagnosis. The majority of the diagnosis are based on the history and physical and testing only verifies the initial impression. There are 10,000 lab tests approved by the FDA and which ones to do are all up to the doctor based on your symptoms. 

Blind testing not based on the symptoms are avoided because of the high false positive and false negative rates and poor predictors of disease. 

• Zirp
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

The lab will only find things it is looking for.  Blood can be checked for hundreds of chemicals, but doing so costs time and money.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Routine blood work only checks a very few vitamin/mineral levels.  Common ones include glucose levels, salt levels, and iron levels.  You would need to ask which ones your test included.

Routine blood work never checks for testosterone.  That would need to be requested.

You would need to ask for more specific testing.  

• 2 months ago

Testosterone requires a specific test. I am not sure how much the others would show up in a routine blood test but I would expect there to be indicators if anything is wrong.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.