Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceHigher Education (University +) · 2 months ago

Does a college or university degree make you more educated or simply more indoctrinated?

I have a master's degree and I'm a Democrat for the idiots that assumed (made azz of themselves) that I'm on the right. 

It's a shame that some idiots have to politicize everything. 

It is a shame everything is politicized, but colleges are.  Unless you are studying something mathematical or an exact science, you are likely to get biased information, and it will be biased on the "Democrat" side, which I suppose you already know and won't learn too much.

Both.  I teach at three of the largest and most respected universities in the country and have my PhD, two Master's degrees, and my BA.  You will learn a lot of useful, applicable information if you take the right classes and come out educated. But there is a downside to that - some educated people are also political radicals and try to push their ideas onto students.  My advice is to learn the proper application of the scientific method and learn as much about statistics and quantitative analysis as possible so that you can run the numbers for yourself and realize how bogus many of the ideological claims are. Read some Durkheim and Comte to deprogram yourself and see what the scientific realities of the world are rather than what the loonies want the world to believe it is (but remember, according to critical theory mathematics is racist - damned numbers and objective analysis, tools of "the Man").

Especially in undergraduate social science classes, prepare to be bombarded with indoctrination in the form of critical theory.  You will likely be fine if you are in a hard science, as you will learn techniques rooted in positivism, which is about interpreting the world based on the evidence.  If you are in the managerial sciences, you will learn a mix of positivism and Weberian interpretivism, which are useful in understanding the objective and subjective nature of human interaction. 

However, if you are in the social sciences, you will be plied with Marxist critical theory, which assumes that any group in the majority is inherently evil and oppresses anyone in the minority.  It is baseless nonsense and only exists to justify overthrowing economic systems for stupid reasons.  But unless you sing its praises, you will never become a tenured professor in a social science. All the positivists get stuck in lecturer positions teaching stats and research methods, hoping they will show students that the numbers don't add up in critical theory.  All the interpretivists will get stuck teaching elective courses 5 students take a semester.  All the core courses are taught by people who believe in that drivel.

• ?

If it's a worthwhile degree (e.g. Ivy League and many others), you will leave better-educated. If you get it from a school like Liberty University, you will leave indoctrinated. However, to be fair, you would not go there unless you were indoctrinated to begin with. This is not a slam at all religious schools; Hartwick College is excellent, although you do have to take a course or two from the Department of Religion.

No of course not.  No indoctrination in my education, and no huge debt either.

• garry

its how you use that knowledge , havent you heard of educated idiots .. yes i made it up over 35 years ago at latrobe university .. 

I have a Ph.D. and there was zero indoctrination involved.

I graduated much more knowledgeable.

Maybe more educated but not necessarily more intelligent.

• W

I think the OP is trying to make the lame observation that universities force someone to have a leftist approach. That is plain wrong. My profs accepted anything I wrote that favored the conservative approach as long as it was well-written and well-founded. 

• John

Anyone who believes the alt-right falsehoods about college being indoctrination centers has already been indoctrinated.  The political demagogues who spread such lies need followers who unquestioningly accept whatever they are told.  They don't want people to go to college not because students are indoctrinated, but because they are being taught to think critically.  Millions of students who are mainstream conservatives and members of mainstream religious denominations attend college every year.  

To make the point in a not-so-subtle way, I think most people would prefer to be in a hospital where their doctors, nurses, radiologists, lab techs, pharmacists etc have been to college rather than pick it up through internet blogs, youtube videos, and memes ...