Ivy asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 2 months ago

Is it wrong that my mum won’t help my game addicted brother?

Ok so my brother is 25 and heavily addicted to computer games. He doesn’t work or go out because of it as well as poor diet. It’s a real issue since he lives at home and doesn’t contribute to any bills or food.  

When I bring it up with my mum she doesn’t care and says ‘there’s nothing I can do’ 

Do I just keep out of it? 

Favorite Answer

Your mum has made some huge mistakes here, and it's probably too late to fix them.   Tbh, I don't get parents like her, because she's crippling him.  He probably stopped maturing the day he graduated high school (or whatever you call it in your country).  This means that with every day that passes, he's falling further and further behind.  A good parent starts "teaching" independence as soon as a child becomes a legal adult.   Mentally and emotionally, your brother is 16 and heading rapidly towards being that 40 year old living in mum's basement.

With that said, there are things she can do, because she still has a lot of power over him.  But I don't know if she'll do them, since most are common sense.  You might be better off talking to him.  Start the convo by telling him you know he's miserable and you want to help him grow up.  (It's true about being miserable.  No sane person wants to live this way, but he has no idea how to get himself going).  

i would just stay out of it

• T J

Stay out of it. You spoke to her, she is not going to do a thing about him. Why make yourself upset over it. Nothing you can do. Move out when you are ready. Then you will not have to see it anymore.

• Audrey

If she's paying all the bills, keep out of it. If you're helping pay the bills, move out.

I'm sure your mother has already exhausted every option besides kicking him out. This is the only thing that would help your brother, but he could easily end up a bum.