Is it better to write a book yourself or to co-sign with a partner ?

Which option leads to better results for the author ?

• Andrew
    Favorite Answer

Unless you have extensive experience working with the other person and know about the person's style and can confirm that it meshes with your own, it's not a good idea to collaborate with someone else. 

I've co-authored once and will never do it again. We found it terribly difficult and had to pull back before it destroyed our relationship as the most active members in a critique group.

We were only writing a short story for a particular market (which didn't buy it). I can't imagine having to tough it out for a novel. It's murderously hard to get on the same page about every aspect of the story and its writing.

It depends. Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett did a good job with "Good Omens". Romance authors Vi Keeland and Penelope Ward seem to have a good thing going as well, and while I haven't read all of Janny Wurts and Raymond E. Feist's works, I think the "Empire Trilogy" is one of the best things either of them have written. You can find stuff online where Raymond E. Feist talks about the process and how Larry Niven had suggested that "someone must be the boss".

But... like Andrew says, unless you're a good match with the other author, it's not a good idea to collaborate with someone else. Apart from matching writing styles, you'd probably also want to focus on writing methodology, and carefully consider how you're going to tackle this before you start writing.

• ?

You mean co-author and whichever will get you to the Times bestseller list.