How do I create a user interface program in C?

I'm very new to programming, and I've been practicing C with terminal output, but now I want to create a physical program, like a calculator, where I can place buttons and code them. I have a mac and use xCode 12.2. How do I do this? What are the steps? 

I have also downloaded the SDL library via terminal as I found out this was necessary.

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 week ago

Digital marketing services in Sydney https://thead.com.au/

• 1 month ago

You wanna know about GUI. Then,

1. Set properties.

2. The source code of callback.c.

In these two lines, the program will take glade widgets into Gtk widgets.

• 1 month ago

If you want to write a Mac-style graphical application, you need to use the Cocoa API and libraries, but that doesn't work with C.  Apple only supports Swift (recommended for all new applications) or Objective-C (still supported for legacy applications.)

You can use SDL, but it doesn't come with any support for application windows, or the buttons, text boxes, and other controls that a graphical user interface (GUI) needs.  It's just a very fast way to move pixels around, and access joysticks and other game controllers.  

You may want to look at one of the cross-platform graphical APIs.  Probably the most common choice for C is GTK.  (www.gtk.org). 

If you can expand your skill set to use C++, then libraries like Qt or wxWidgets.  (Qt is essentially C++ only.  There's a C binding for wxWidgets, but that's mainly intended to support interfacing to functional languages like Haskell or Ocaml.  You might not find a lot of support for building applications in C.)

If you've never done any GUI programming before, get ready for a big learning curve.  In a console-type program, or in a background service ("daemon"), your program runs from main() and calls system functions as needed.  In a GUI program, the GUI library is "the system" and it calls your functions as needed to get things done. 

• Lv 7
    1 month ago

you need to learn ALL of C programming, not just the beginner classes.

there are many more things beyond just terminal usage, but you need to learn more than the basics to do anything with a GUI.

try this:

https://youtu.be/YlTeQ7u1Tp4

Youtube thumbnail

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Pearl
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

if you type this on the search bar it might show you how to do it

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.