Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesHistory · 2 months ago

Is it true, in the olden days, more women had children in their 40s and 50s than now due to a lack of birth control?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • ?
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

It was more because there still was the belief that the more children you had then you had a better retirement.  likely any old age pension back then was very little so having more children meant they could all chip in some money to help give their parents a better retirement.  Likely you are also correct that a lack of contraception meant every time a couple had sex there was more chance that a child would result.  In my grandparents day families of 10 people was quite common.  I think one of my grandmothers came from a family of 10 children.  I also think churches encouraged large families as virtually everyone went to church back 100 years ago and the more children a family had strengthened the church and its power.  The Catholic Church especially encouraged large families.

• Marli
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Did more women of 40 plus years get pregnant in the past than get pregnant now?  And what do you mean by "the past".  Many women in the ancient, medieval and early modern centuries died before they were in their forties from overwork, poor diet and from childbirth and gynecological complications  A few women did give birth in their 50s, but that was considered exceptional.

As another answerer said, women were practicing birth control since at least Cleopatra's era.  The only effective birth control is hormonal ingestion- the Pill (taken since the 1960s)  Most women in 1st world countries are well-nourished, which aids fertility. Most of us also get the hormones that are given to animals bred for meat and dairy. So our fertility years start earlier and end later than our 18th century ancestors.

We are less obedient to religions that ban birth control practices. A good Puritan or Catholic church woman of 40 plus years who is not past her menopause and has a husband in good health is more likely to give him a "Benjaman" (a child in their old age) because their church told them birth control hampered the will of God.

So it may be the hormonal changes in women's bodies from diet and from the Pill and supplements that have lengthened her fertility time and have given her the option not to get pregnant in her 40s and 50s.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

No More women had More children in those days because they were stay at Home Mothers today they want a career and Money

• 1 month ago

No, not really, women had the menopause earlier then, my grandmother started hers in her mid 40's, she had 4 children by the age of 29 and then no more! i asked her how she managed this in the 1920's and she said that my grandad got condoms of course! There had always been some sort of  birth control around, but usually reserved for the middle and upper classes, douching after sex was popular, and the withdrawal method was used, although this was not very effective. Another primitive method was to scoop out an orange and put one of the scooped out halves up into the vagina!

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

Untrue. In Cleopatra's day they had birth control (condoms made out of goat gut) and would also spread in a variety of concoctions like manure & other stuff.  Google will tell you more.

.         Women's reproduction cycle stops at a certain age which has been true for all women for a long time.

.  Many women had twins, triplets, quads through healthy diet and activities.

.   Also the lack of a TV meant no football or baseball could be watched was also a determining factor?            

• Steven
    Lv 4
    2 months ago

Totally untrue.

Women are able to give birth at older ages now than they used to be, due do medical advancements.

• ?
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

nope..................

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.