Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 1 month ago

Do dogs like McGriddles? ?

I’m putting my dog down tomorrow because he has hip dysplasia and can’t walk anymore, and I want to get him a delicious meal before he goes because he is the best most sweetest boy. I remember hearing one time that dogs can’t taste sweet things like humans can. I want to get him a McGriddle and a chocolate chip cookie. Do you think he would be able to taste it and enjoy it? I know this is a silly question but I just want to do something special for him before he passes. If you have any suggestions on special things I can do for him please don’t hesitate to comment them as well. 

About the only thing in your post that makes sense is the part where you say it's a silly question. It sure is. It's your dog. Don't you know what it likes? How would I know what your dog would enjoy eating?

It is inappropriate to give a dog chocolate, it can kill them, but since he is being put down maybe it doesn't matter to you.  As far as the pan cakes  go, he would probably prefer a really nice dog food,  Like some of the fresh ones they have now 

Filet Mignon wrapped in bacon. How many dogs ever get that? 

Dog not a candidate for surgery then?

I'm sorry for your loss. I don't know what kind of dog you have, though with hip dysplasia, I suspect a larger breed.  As for a last meal, most dogs would prefer raw steak or a juicy bone. That said, dogs will eat just about anything.  I know your dog is being put down, but chocolate is undigestible for dogs, and could cause him to vomit. If you don't want his last day to be one of uncontrollable vomiting or perhaps diahhreah, skip the cookie.  As for the McGriddle, all things being equal, your dog will eat it just as quickly as he/she would a raw steak.

I would give him anything he likes, ANYTHING.  Chocolate, milk or whatever he likes.  Make his last days as wonderful as you can.

Dogs are carnivores - they LOVE meat.  Please skip the sweet stuff which is totally unnatural and would not be his 1st choice...by a long shot.  Give him some steak - if you can afford it or buy hamburger or go buy a McDonald's burger - but pull it OUT.... of the bun.

I assume you tried the vet suggested pain med options for hip dysplasia & either tried or could not afford Adequan injections to help supply cushioning synovial (joint) fluid and will help the dog REMAKE joint cartilage much better than the OTC, Cosequin etc. stuff.  I have seen any number of dogs start walking again - who had severe HD (in both hips) but got the Adequan injections.

Don't do the cookie. Please, do NOT do the cookie. He may die before you get him put down, as chocolate is NOT good for dogs, regardless of him being put down or not. You want your last moments with him vomiting, pooping everywhere, and possibly convulsing? DON'T. Just get him a plain hamburger or cheeseburger and nibble off some fries you can share. The McGriddle might be ok, that's not nearly as dangerous as the chocolate chip cookie could be. Stay away from all things chocolate, PLEASE. 

• Eva

Skip the sweet stuff. It will just make him sick. Some kind of meat or other treat that you know he likes would be better.  Don't give him a lot though. Your veterinarian will thank you not to.

Dog would love a Sausage McGriddle.