Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkVegetarian & Vegan · 1 month ago

Do all mushrooms in the woods have worms in them? What's your method of cleaning them?

10 Answers

Relevance
  • Nick
    Lv 5
    1 month ago

what kind of mushroom are you foraging?

I run into bugs, but I've never seen worms.

To all the people saying all wild mushrooms are deadly: If you don't know about the topic don't answer.

• 1 month ago

Worms are not the main danger from wild mushrooms. The worst danger is misidentification, some VERY TOXIC species are difficult to distinguish from edible varieties. 

I only eat cultivated mushrooms for this reason. The main two varieties are the field mushroom [ button, closed cup and open cup are all the same variety just picked at different stages] and the portobello or chestnut mushroom, others are occasionally available. 

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Do not pick mushrooms in the woods and eat them unless you have a death wish. I'm NOT kidding.

• 1 month ago

I have eaten mushrooms for many years and have never seen a worm in any

of them. For cleaning I just wipe them with a wet cloth and that is all I do.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

Mushrooms does have a task in nature - to accumulate toxins. That is why I don't eat mushrooms anymore.

• 1 month ago

I love mushrooms, but will only eat store-bought. In too many cases wild poisonous ones look just like edible ones. That being said, I brush them off lightly with a dry paper towel. I have never heard of any mushrooms being prone to worms.

• ?
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

At some times of the year mushrooms have a tendency to harbour fly larvae in them but I don't think I've ever seen a mushroom with an earthworm in it

• denise
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

I dont know about 'wood' mushrooms,  but I brush  the excess dirt off with a soft brush [like a clean paintbrush], then wipe them over with a damp cloth to make sure they are clean.

• ?
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

I have picked a few mushrooms in my time and never found one with a worm.

• kswck2
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

I don't eat raw mushrooms, only cooked. So i wash them in plain water. 

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.