Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkVegetarian & Vegan · 1 month ago

Do all mushrooms in the woods have worms in them? What's your method of cleaning them?

• Nick

what kind of mushroom are you foraging?

I run into bugs, but I've never seen worms.

To all the people saying all wild mushrooms are deadly: If you don't know about the topic don't answer.

Worms are not the main danger from wild mushrooms. The worst danger is misidentification, some VERY TOXIC species are difficult to distinguish from edible varieties. 

I only eat cultivated mushrooms for this reason. The main two varieties are the field mushroom [ button, closed cup and open cup are all the same variety just picked at different stages] and the portobello or chestnut mushroom, others are occasionally available. 

Do not pick mushrooms in the woods and eat them unless you have a death wish. I'm NOT kidding.

I have eaten mushrooms for many years and have never seen a worm in any

of them. For cleaning I just wipe them with a wet cloth and that is all I do.

Mushrooms does have a task in nature - to accumulate toxins. That is why I don't eat mushrooms anymore.

I love mushrooms, but will only eat store-bought. In too many cases wild poisonous ones look just like edible ones. That being said, I brush them off lightly with a dry paper towel. I have never heard of any mushrooms being prone to worms.

• ?

At some times of the year mushrooms have a tendency to harbour fly larvae in them but I don't think I've ever seen a mushroom with an earthworm in it

• denise

I dont know about 'wood' mushrooms,  but I brush  the excess dirt off with a soft brush [like a clean paintbrush], then wipe them over with a damp cloth to make sure they are clean.

• ?

I have picked a few mushrooms in my time and never found one with a worm.

• kswck2

I don't eat raw mushrooms, only cooked. So i wash them in plain water.