Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 2 months ago

If you prefer grawlixes or some censoring over profanity, would you get a book and edit it yourself or wait until it is edited officially?

• James
    Favorite Answer

I think writers made the book the way they want it, and editing it changes the feel. They would rather leave it alone, sell as written and if someone else wants to edit it, let them do it and pay the publications fees.

I'm obviously also the wrong target group because the only time I'd use grawlixes would be if I made a comic or comic books/strips.

For anyone waiting for someone to officially and legally edit my novels or short stories, they'd have to wait until my copyright expires 70 years after my death. I'm not someone who uses much profanity in real life, but some of my characters do. It's part of who they are. If someone doesn't like that, I suggest they don't read it.

• Zac Z

I think I'll never understand that some grown-ups (of which there seems to be loads in the US) apparently are so fragile as to not being able to cope with reading certain words.

That said, even though I'm not one of those people who feel the need to have their reading censored as you might have guessed from the previous paragraph, I think the answer to your question should be fairly obvious.

If someone is too fragile (or whatever you wanna call it) to be confronted with these "mean words" how are they going to be able to censor a book by themselves? They'd have to read the profanities before being able to censor them, right? Which is clearly something they don't want to do.

And once they've worked through the entire book for censoring, why would they have to read it again? I mean, they've already read it!

Unless they are censoring the books for others (e.g. if they think they need to protect their kids from reading these evil words which will, uh, turn them into psychopaths or something?). But you asked "If YOU prefer grawlixes or some censoring" which implies that the people you address are the ones who have these preferences.

Lastly, the "wait until it is edited officially" bit implies that there are official editions of "sanitized" books. I seriously hope that isn't the case.  I share the view of others here that someone who can't cope with the language the author presents should just simply read something else. If I were an author I certainly would not allow an official censored edition of my work.

No one but the author has the right to edit the author's book. If the words they choose to use offend you, either get over it or choose another book.

I use profanity frequently in my writing, and there is not going to be any "official" edit.

• Cogito

If there's profanity in a book, I just read it.  It's meant to be there.  Editing it wold be wrong and very disrespectful to the author.

If you're such a snowflake that you can't read a few 'naughty' words, you shouldn't be reading those books at all.  I mean - even Shakespeare's works were full of very rude expressions, curse-words, innuendos and suchlike!