Anonymous

Working a Part-Time Job While in College?

I just got a part time job as a promotions assistant for a radio station. yay! I believe during the interview when I asked, they said they can be flexible around my school schedule. But I honestly don't remember. I start this job next Tuesday and it calls for at least 20 hours a week. I don't start my senior year of college until next month, but I am afraid that once I begin school it will be harder to juggle a part time job while being a full time student. Is this do-able? Is it hard to work a part time job while finishing a degree? Do you think I should ask my manager one more time if they can be flexible around my school schedule before I come in on Tuesday?

• Maybe you could switch doing school part time and having a part time job. That way you should have more time to focus on school. It's about scheduling and time management. You'll have a better idea of that when school starts. For many people it is do-able. As for you, you would have to try it for a few weeks and see what happens. 

Some part time jobs can be flexible with you, if they said they can be before then they should be able to be flexible when you start the job. You be honest and tell them that you're in school and you can't handle more then ___ hours a week. You need time to do home work and school projects. 

Tens of thousands of people have part-time jobs withal carrying a full-time load of college classes.  The flexibility of the job schedule and your ability to not waste time is critical.  You need to talk to the people who hired you ASAP to discussed exact details of when and where you'll be able to work.  For example, do you have to be at the radio station to do your job or can you do it from your home?  Are you expected to get your 20 hours in 9-5, Mon-Fri, or can you do this late at night or over the weekend?

You also need to figure out how flexible your classes are? Are the in-person or on-line?  When do they meet?  You can't be in class and at the radio station at the same time, so if you class schedule doesn't allow for your work commitment, you'll need to reduce your hours or find a different job.  

• April

A lot of it depends on scheduling. If you follow a consistent routine, it's doable. There are 168 hours in a week--however you spend all that time is up to you. 

My sister worked 20-25 hours/week at a restaurant through college and had a hard time because her schedule constantly changed and she had poor time management skills.

I worked part-time through college. My freshman and sophomore years, I did work study, so I only worked 16 hours a week because that was all that was allowed. That job was actually nice because I could study at work. I just monitored a lab, so I got most of my homework done while sitting at work.

My junior year, I got a job off campus driving pizzas. I tried not to work more than 24 hours a week though, because when I did, I noticed it starting to affect my grades. In the summers though, I'd go up to fulltime. 

That went through my senior year, but the last semester of my senior year, because I had my bachelor's thesis (a 60 page paper due at the end of my cap course - final course for my degree), my honors thesis, and numerous other papers, such that I added it all up and saw that I had over 400 pages in papers to write that semester, not to mention exams and the fact that every course was 400-level and the most advanced, hardest courses I'd taken my entire college career, I ended up not working at all my last semester to be able to pull it off. So that's something to think about.

But I wouldn't worry too much about that up front. You're excited about the job, so jump into it. Try to keep it down to 20 hours a week. I noticed that employers like to try to gradually creep you up hours-- this weeks it's 20. Next week 22. The schedule after that you're at 24 and 26 hours. Next thing you know, you see yourself scheduled for 32 hours. You have to keep that in check. It invariably happens because college jobs, jobs like that, they tend to have a fair amount of turnover and it's easier to give everyone a few extra hours than find a replacement, which they always say they're trying to get but they don't if they get already trained people filling in by upping their hours. Still get into the job and enjoy it. Make yourself valuable. Make yourself someone they don't want to lose, not even if they only get you 20 hours. That'll get you leverage to start asking for favors and special flexibility, like if you need them to work around when you've got to write a paper or study for an exam.

Also, I had a few friends that worked at radio stations while in college, not as a "promotions assistant" but as DJs. My friend Jason worked at WFMK. My roommate and a couple of my friends worked at WIDR. My sister is at University of Wisconsin right now and is working as a DJ. All of them said that they found time to study while at work. I'm not sure if your job would be conducive to that, but that's something to keep in mind. If you're job invovles any amount of sitting and waiting, you'd be surprised at how much reading you can get done three minutes here, five minutes there. So my point is, get into the job and see what it actual entails and then see where to go from there. You might be surprised by how much you can get done at work, because if you can get a fair bit of homework done at work, whether it be reading or writing papers on your work computer or whatever, then working is actually helping you out by giving you some focused time to get done what you need to get done, helping you out by providing you income, experience doing what you want to do as well as a resume builder so that you're not one of those zero-experience grads, and a foot in the door some place for job placement after you graduate or at least networking contacts that will put you in touch with professionals elsewhere that you can then have a better chance of getting hired by because they know you, all while not taking away as much study time as it may seem but actually giving you focused opportunities to study or do course work that if not at work you might be distracted by friends and social stuff going on tempting you away.

Basically, I think it sounds like a great opportunity. You should go for it. You should also hold off on making any special requests until you've proven yourself. But you should be firm about them keeping you to 20 hours. If in your second semester of your senior year, you look at your syllabi and see what I saw, way too much work to do for you to have a job, you cross that bridge when you come to it and not worry about it until then.

• ?

I worked two part time jobs through pretty much all my college years.  A friend of mine worked 3 jobs while taking 22 credit hours per semester and got an A average. So yes you can do it.  

At the beginning of the semester, give your boss your school schedule and tell him/her that those are the hours you are not available to work.  Employers of students understand scheduling their part-time people around school.  It will be nothing new to them.

People have juggled part time jobs and full time college for 100 years.  I would show up on Tuesday and do your job.  Discuss at the appropriate time (doesn't have to be on day 1) what hours they'd want you to work.  Depending on the answer, then you *remind* them that your classes will start next month and that once you have your schedule you'll be able to nail down timing better.