Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 2 months ago

My friends dog bit me on the stomach last night for literally no reason?

I'm scared of him. He's a huge Rottweiler and he isn't nice at all. Anytime anyone pets him he growls but only shows his teeth when he wants you to stop. He knows me I was over there 3 times a week in October planning my friends wedding and I've seen him a millions times before that. Last night I walked in and he ran over and my friend stopped him because they know he makes me nervous. So he walked back into the other room and then randomly ran back out and bit me, I was just standing there not even really paying attention to him. I just don't get it? 

She must have told him off before you got there.

Those dog's are so scary.

I've been stuck in the house crying with one trying to head butt the door down so she could play while she was on heat... 

I called the cop's on her, and they didn't want to know...

I was so scared.....

Dogs when resorting to biting ALWAYS have a reason....

• garry

lol scares of a rottweiler , you are so funny for a troll arent you ....

• ?

Very sad that this owner let this dog down.   That's all I have to say.  

1 - he doesn't like you;

2 - You get nervous which makes him nervous;

3 - He's unpredictable.

An untrained aggressive dog is unpredictable.  Poor thing hasn't had any training.  Owner is neglecting this dog by not training it.  This aggression will only get worse as the dog gets older & will probably have to be put down due to its aggression.

The dog is out of control & dangerous.

• Maxi

It was not out of now where...you are scared of him, and give off  signals to him that will make him feel insecure and an insecure dog is the most dangerous dog there is however the owner needs to put him securely way aand certainly train this dog and use a muzzle to socialise their dog to build its self confidence  without it being able to bite anyone......... the owner is at fault as they clearly know it is insecure and they know you don't like him and he makes you feel nervous

Loaded gun, for sure!  And turning away doesn't always work either.   For a couple of years after we came back to the UK from overseas, we lived with a couple of their boarding kennel.   They had Jackies and a Bloodhound in their home and one morning I went in (she knew me well by then) to load their washing machine.  She got me on my elbow - my back was turned away from her.   Luckily I had a thick coat on.   She later, the next day, attacked a couple calling to pick up their dog who was in being boarded.   Yes she shouldn't have been out there, but she lept at the woman and caught her on her face.   She was put down the same day.   What was going on I have no idea, but she was downright dangerous.   I'm not one for automatically pts, but in that instance, and I suggest with this Rottie, pts was justified.  The Bloodhound was her own worst enemy.

It's possible that your friend's dog has picked up on you being nervous, but that's still not an excuse.  Sadly.

I am going to agree w/ Ms. Frankenstein, up to a point per the dog's basic reaction/behavior.  However, I do not agree with continuing to GO OVER - unless the dog is one of the following: locked up in another room, crated or kept outside and this is done PRIOR to you stepping inside the home.

You need to decide about reporting the BITE to Animal Control.  (IMO you should, but it could damage your friendship.)  It is likely the dog has, or WILL BITE somebody else.  If there is no record being made of these inappropriate bites, it makes it harder for anything to be done (long term) about the dog & its behavior.  And if it continues to be ignored (as it is now) and the dog BITES a child or a senior citizen - HOW will you feel?  Silence.... allows this to continue to not just you, but to OTHERS.  No dog bite is: allowed, correct or can be CONDONED, unless you are trying to HARM the owner.

IMO, the dog needs evaluation by an animal behaviorist or a dog training professional, and it would need re-training (if it ever got ANY) or re-conditioning, ASAP, in order to be perhaps made safe, or safe enough, not to bite guests.  This is by definition - a DANGEROUS DOG (as it is today).  Your "friend" or his/her parents DO not seem to understand that concept.  It is like having a loaded gun, in the home - that can "go off" at anytime, on ANYBODY.

Do you even know for *certain* the dog is up to date on its rabies?  (Having a tag on, does NOT mean the dog is up to date.)  The adult owners should be responsible for any Dr. bills (if the dog BROKE THE SKIN) and for any antibiotics or tetanus booster, if needed.  

Ideally, if you reported the bite, the dog would have to go into quarantine at Animal Control to be watched for rabies, if it is NOT up to date.  But once a bite is reported, a records starts..... and most places only allow 2 or 3 bites (total) before the dog is destroyed.  The dog will also be REQUIRED to wear a muzzle if it is taken off the property for a walk or to ride in the car (to say a vet's office).  The BITE is serious, and it is WRONG!

There is a reason: he's an out-of-control unsocialized dog. Your friend isn't doing him any favors by keeping him this way, either. Dogs that behave like this usually weren't around people growing up, or exposed to them and all their behaviors early on. A dog that bites is a VERY scared dog, not necessarily a MEAN dog. It's the only way he knows how to get people to back off, as they make him nervous and your friend has not corrected this behavior, maybe thought it was "so cute" when he was a puppy, so now the grown dog thinks it's still ok to do.

Friendships and even family bonds have been broken over a dog's bad behavior. If you choose to go over there again, ignore the dog. Just ignore it. Turn your back to it, make yourself as less interesting as possible, and just ignore him. This is all your friend's fault, not yours.