Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureOther - Society & Culture · 2 months ago

Refusing to do menial jobs to pay bills and debts bcuz you have a PhD, is this ego?

It shows an arrogant behavior. You should settle for anything menial. You have to start somewhere. 

• Ann

It's called Stupidity.  I put myself through school to earn my master's degree by cleaning houses.  Scrubbing other people's toilets was not fun, but it paid for the tuition. Then, 10 years later, I did the same thing to earn an Ed.D.  I actually worked four jobs to get enough for that degree, because it took five years (four years of classes and a year to write the dissertation) and nearly $10,000 to cover the tuition costs.  For someone to think he/she is "too good" to work in order to pay bills and debts is a sadly deluded person.  There are people who have doctorates and claim to be "academics", but they can't find their way out of the rain and they have no common sense. 

Source(s): licensed professional counselor/licensed specialist in school psychology
  • ?

If you have no other way to pay your bills this is a problem. This is why people seeking advanced degrees need to do their research to make sure there's a practical application for their education. Some degrees just don't have linear career paths unless you plan to teach the subject. 

• P.L.

Many people cannot get jobs after University.  It's sad but they know that there is a long list of unemployed people already and it just gets longer when students finish their studies. All students, regardless of whether they have a diploma, degree or anything else should be willing to take any kind of work just to get the money going INTO their account as it's been COMING OUT for quite a long time and parents cannot bail out their kids for ever.

Honestly sounds like pure stupidity on their own part zxj

. . . . . . . . . .

, , , , , , , , , ,

• I have no doubt that in many cases it is "ego" at play, but bear in mind that it takes thousands of dollars and years of devotion (as well as actual certified research) to get Phd and if a person puts that much time into something they expect a return after jumping through all the hoops they need to to NOT ONLY get a GOOD job, but to achieve this level of doctorate.

I mean, they do not just hand these out to anyone.

Understandably, to be reduced to a blue-collar, or menial labor job for some people who have achieved that level of education is not only an indignity, it is a literal slap in the face by the universe, so to speak.

I'm not sure if I can empathize with them ENTIRELY, as I am a person who despite some far lesser degree of higher learning and the ability to peruse further such leaning opted for blue-collar work instead, but I do understand their position and perhaps point of view.

However, it is my belief that those of not only higher learning, but higher EVOLUTION and intellect (where ego does not obstruct these things) who offer their services at discounted costs, or even voluntarily and charitably would find that the "way things work" is that they will find themselves with more lucrative, or even more rewarding opportunities after they can lower themselves just a little bit. The Universe, god, or just some not fully investigated law of physics, if you prefer, simply loves knocking us all down a peg or two whenever the opportunity to do so presents itself.

• kswck2

Nope. Just stupid. 

It could be.  It might be excessive optimism, the idea that they fear missing a good opportunity more fitting to their skills if they start working at menial jobs. At some point, though, you would think that reality would force itself to be recognized: that job ain't happening any time soon so do something now just to have some money.

But a more practical person would find some in-between job, one more suited to their skills and abilities.  There are definitely some Ph.D. holders who would do very well at manual labor, but many are probably better suited to office duties.

Basically, if you have a doctorate, it tends to prove a certain capacity and independence, and there are a lot of jobs out there where those two traits have value, even if you lack the experience.  Experience can be gained.  Dropping to the lowest level of unskilled labor is as big a waste as waiting for that job that will never come But will the person likely have to get an entry-level position?  Yes.

• Kelley

Change your thinking.  Work in order to eat.  While working, also apply for higher paying jobs.  

• Cogito

Possibly.  Or just conceit and stupidity.