In ww1 why was there no attempt for a landing troops behind the German trenches of belgium by sea in after Trafalgar victory ?

Update:

I would of made a show at the front artillery bombardment as German troops  bring up troops to prepare for battle land a division behind them 

Update 2:

Normandy by ship

Update 3:

My bad Trafalgar was defeat of napaloen navy by the British 

6 Answers

Relevance
  • xyzzy
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Are you talking about the Battle of Trafalgar? That took place in 1805.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

a] Trafalger? Epic History fail. 

b] They didn't have amphibeous assault capability for landing on beaches.

c] The Germans had a formidable navy in the North Sea and they had also heavily mined the coastal waters

d] It's "I would have", not "I would of". Fail again.  

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Trafalgar was just over a hundred years before the war started (and Germany did not exist, although many German troops were fighting on the British side, and the French and Spanish were the enemy).

Normandy is far to the west of where the German lines (and the French and British) were.

One division would not nearly be enough.

Apart from that it is a manoeuvre of panache and brilliance General.

• 1 month ago

That was no attempt because they realised it was impractical. Operations Hush was exactly what they described and that as cancelled because they realised it wouldn't work. The British made raids on Belgium and German ports throughout the war and each and every time despite outnumbering the defenders the British failed their objectives with heavy loses whilst the Germans were minimum. Why would a large scale landing be any different?

And division? A division? You know what a division landing after naval bombardment looks like? Cape Helles where a regiment, which is substantialy smaller than a division, of Ottomans turned the landings there into an absolute bloodbath and that was Ottomans who paled in comparison to the Germans. A divisions? Hush called for five and they didn't think that would work. A single British division was around 18,000 men. Cut off from the main forces, with limited supplies and staring down the 5 divisions strong German Naval Corp stationed along the coast to defend against a landing? No way in hell that achieves anything. 

Also it wasn't Trafalgar, it was Jutland. Trafalgar was 211 years earlier. And even after Jutland the German navy was still a huge threat. The Royal Navy didn't defeat them. The Germans sailed in with around 100 ships and lost 11. They were contained but still a serious threat if they did sally forth. And let's say the Entente did try to pull off a landing similar to Normandy then the Germany Navy may very well risk that.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • ?
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

First, I would submit that after Gallipoli the Allies had little taste for large scale amphibious operations. 

Second, a single division is too small of a force to achieve much.  The Gallipoli operation involved the three divisions of the ANZAC Corps, the British Naval Division, plus troops from British, Indian and French regiments and still they didn't achieve anything.  To get something meaningful done they would have to land at least two army corps, but these troops were more urgently needed elsewhere on the Western Front.

Third, where would they land?  The retreating Belgians flooded the coastal lowlands in 1914 and they remained flooded all through the war.  Besides occupying a couple of coastal towns of little strategic significance the landing force could only move inland over a few roads that remained above the water which Germans could easily target with artillery.  

And forth, what would be the objective?  As I said, the movement options of such landing force were limited.  The only coastal towns that were worth fighting for were Ostend and Zeebrugge, which controlled the entrance to the canals that led to the U-boat base the Germans established at Bruges, six miles inland.  The Royal Navy did attempt a series of raids to block the entrance to the canals with limited success, but landing enough troops to occupy these heavily defended towns and then hold them against German counterattacks was out of the question.       

• ree
    Lv 4
    1 month ago

Airplanes were in their infancy. There were no paratrooper divisions because the plane didn't exist to transport them. 

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.