Why are 80 year olds high on the list for the covid vaccine in the UK?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/am...

According to that link, that is the case.

My girlfriend has a heart condition and she is lower on the list than 80 year olds. She is 28, wouldn't it be more tragic if she died than an 80 year old?

@intrinsic, duh, an 80 year old has had their life.

I'm not saying don't give 80 year olds the vaccine but why aren't they above younger people who could die because of other health problems?

*Why are they above

@Elaine, normally yes but did you read the question? Why are younger people with other health problems lower on the list than 80 year olds?

A younger person with underlying problems can be as weak as an 80 year old but they haven't had their life yet.

@Anon coward, if someone has a proven health condition it isn't a case of thinking it.

@Anon coward, I don't think I'm a special case so....

@Anon coward, how can you deflect the same remark when I'm not the one who goes anonymous? Reported.

@Tavy, that makes sense, thank you.

• Tavy
    Favorite Answer

Older people end up in hospital, this is how the NHS gets overwhelmed. This is the thinking behind it. They are not left in Care homes fighting for breath and dying with no medical care.

UK

I have to totally agree with Tavy.   It's because the elderly are more likely to have to be hospitalised if they become ill with C-19, so potentially overwhelming the Hospitals.

Everyone thinks they are a special case, coward.  Anyone who is your "girlfriend" deserves nothing but sympathy

• Elaine

One reason could be that In general  the older one gets the longer it takes to recover from illnesses or injuries and what you want to do is prevent the healthcare system from collapsing.  As an example a younger person can recover from pneumonia in less than one week with proper hospital treatment but an 80+ may take 2 weeks.  You can do the math.