Will the UK start a war with Australia if Australia tries to abolish the monarchy’s continuing reign over Australians ?
- ?Lv 62 months agoFavorite Answer
If Charles becomes king the entire Commonwealth will collapse. Charles will throw one of his tantrums and naturally want to kill them all. He has a bit of a history with...well, you know.
- Anonymous3 weeks ago
Ok, so a few things here:
1. 'Australia' can't just "try to abolish the monarchy". To do that we have to hold a referendum, and for the referendum to be successful it has to achieve not only a national majority, but also a majority in a majority of states - which is extremely difficult. We had such as referendum in 1999 and it was a resounding defeat for the republicans. Public opinion since then has only seen increased support for the monarchy among the Australian public, so another referendum would be defeated even more strongly.
2. No, of course the UK wouldn't start a war with Australia if they voted to become a republic. Why on earth would they? It would be a shame to lose a Commonwealth realm, but how Australia is governed really makes little difference to the UK, it's a matter for Australia.
3. The monarchy's "continuing reign over Australia", as you put it, continues because it's there by choice: 21 years ago, the people voted to keep it. We like the way things are. The politicians don't have too much power, which they would have in a republic, since all political power would be invested in a political president. It's also worth nothing that a majority of politicians at the moment are republicans, which just says it all. Whenever there's something that the majority of public don't support, but the majority of politicians do, you know it's something that you need like a hole in the head.
- Aussie DevilLv 61 month ago
No way Boris Johnston likes Australia
- Anonymous2 months ago
When we were talking Republic the Queen said that is Your Choice i will never Interfere now Turnbull has gone we are Happy with what we have Thank you
- How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
- ?Lv 52 months ago
- CloLv 72 months ago
No. In today's world, people would vote on whether of not to keep the monarchy. A referendum would be decided and a vote held. The UK would have to accept the choice the voters come to.
- PANKOLv 62 months ago
Read my lips: Won't happen. The Aussies are as much British as a cockney. As British as tea.
- Anonymous2 months ago
In fact, a lot of British, including royals, can't figure out why the Australians didn't go the republic route years ago. Prince Charles has openly expressed his mystification.
Everyone's expecting it to happen, so no one's planning any actions against it, military or otherwise.
- RicoLv 52 months ago
Did they do that when Malta, Pakistan and Rhodesia, amongst others became republics?????????????
- 2 months ago
I think the UK has problems enough of its own.
- ?Lv 72 months ago
No, the Australians were given a chance to dump the royal family and they voted against it, their taxes don't go towards them. The authorities are scared of holding the same referendum in the UK because we do have to pay for them, so the result could be different. It might be close but if the UK were to vote, it might well be that the abolition of them would win a vote. I think people would be OK with it continuing until the Queen dies but after that, we don't want it continuing - but we are not going to be asked.