Question about ancestry dna test?

I took an ancestry dna test. The results said that my dna ancestry was 79% African, and 20% European. So would that be considered “half white” even though it’s a smaller percentage. I’m African American btw. 

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago
    Favorite Answer

You are part white or have some small amount of Caucasian ancestry.  "Half White" would be 50%. 

• 2 months ago

Your race in the US and UK is based on how you identify and also partially how you look.  I have one African-American grandparent.  My DNA shows me to be 30% African so I must have had an additional black ancestor somewhere.  But I don't identify as black or biracial.  I identify as white and look white. 

When someone asks my ethnicity, I say I am American.  If they ask about my race, I say I am white.  If someone asks about my ancestry, I do say I have one black grandparent but I am white.  Now I am sure there could be someone else in my same shoes who might say they are black.  Although I don't look black at all.  People don't believe me when I say my grandfather was black.  

So in your case if you identify as African-American or black you can say that you are black.  You can add that you have white ancestry.  But how you label yourself is completely up to you.  There is no rule book.  And people will usually accept what you identify as.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

U.S. blacks are mostly mixed with Whites because mullatos were worth more than full blacks. It was because mullatos could be house servants because they were smarter and didn't stink as bad as full breed Africans. And don't blame me for telling FACTS. LOOK IT UP.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

You are quarter white but still identify yourself as black since your birth parents are African American 

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Cogito
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

You're part white.  Just part.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

you’re “white” if you look more European than not zxjqk

. . . . . . . . . .

, , , , , , , , , ,

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Would you consider someone who was 2% North African mixed?  Any amount of DNA says you came from more than one population means your a mix of something other than just African.  In my opinion half white wouldn't be correct 1/4th white would be a better way to describe a rough percentage . Most would just consider you mixed race.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

No, you are black.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

What about the 1%

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

I'd consider you mixed / biracial.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.