California covid 19 rental laws?

I'm wondering what my rights are as far as breaking a lease due to covid? With the newest shutdown. This will take a toll and I don't think I can make it past December the way it's going. Is there a legal way I can get out of a lease that I have 6 months left in. I live in Northern Cali I. Sonoma County. 

Gavin newsome is a loser and needs to removed IMMEDIALTY!!!!!!!

Show a penis and stopnactijf 

• R P

If your lease contains an early termination clause, pays the fees as outlined & move.

You don't have any extra "rights" as far as renting goes--if you sign a lease. You may, in some places, not be evicted due to non-payment. Your credit will still take a hit, and you will EVENTUALLY be evicted--but many places have a moratorium on getting the cases heard in court. That could be ending very soon, though if it hasn't already ended. You need to check with your locality about that. 

And talk to your landlord. He or she may be amenable to reducing your rent, giving you a break on it, or some other solution. Otherwise, no one will stop you from leaving, but you will probably still owe the landlord for terminating the lease, and have to pay up later. So be careful. 

I'd talk to the LL.  They would probably greatly prefer you left on your own rather than him having to evict you for non payment.

• Maxi

Covid changes nothing..you have a legal contract and you can ask the landlord the cost to terminate early.... but you will not be doing it for free

No, the lease term and requirements don't change because of COVID.

Read your lease, and see if there's an early exit / break clause option. Otherwise, you'll have to negotiate with your landlord (and may end up owing the remaining rent anyway)

• Judy

You don't even say why you think you should be able to break it

You can't just get out of a lease because of a health issue, a pandemic, a virus - whatever you want to call it.  You are bound by the terms and conditions of your lease PERIOD.  Unless there is an early out clause in the lease.  If you can buy your way out (usual penalty is two month's rent) or if you can sublease, then that's your legal way out.  If your lease does not offer those options, you can ask your landlord, but he is not likely to allow it, because it is not in the lease, and if he does not own the place and is just a landlord hired by the owner, or the place has numerous owners, the lease has been pre-determined and you are bound by the terms and conditions, which means you are stuck with it.  You don't have to stay there.  You can pay the 6 months that you owe and move.  The pandemic has made it hard on many families.  Those who have no issue with having to work feel for you.  It must be very stressful, but you still have to do what's legal.  Ask your landlord and if he won't let you out, be thankful that you don't have two years left on your lease. Good luck.  I don't know if President Trump will have time to enact an extension to the no eviction order during covid, before Biden steps in, IF Biden steps in.  If Biden gets to be president, Biden only cares about Biden and he is terribly out of touch.  He thinks asking people to wear a mask for the next 100 days.  What an idiot.  Those who will comply are already wearing them.  The rebels won't wear them just because he asks them to.  So, don't count on Biden stopping evictions.  He might not get in though. There was apparently so much fraud and sudden dumps of votes that came from nobody knows where, suddenly, and dead people voting as far back as dead for 25 years - The Supreme Court will likely rule that the recounts determine that Trump won by a landslide, and then it is likely that evictions will likely be stopped for longer.  However, if the House needs to approve it, the democrat House will not likely do so.  So, cross your fingers, pray and hope for the best.  Meanwhile, ask your landlord - offer to pay a penalty of two month's rent.  It's better than an eviction owing 6 months' rent, plus court costs, etc.

Source(s): Certified Paralegal, with 25+ years' experience & with Landlord & Tenant law experience.

You do not have the right to break a lease. Period.