Whatever happened to grown ups acting like responsible adults?

Anti-maskers? Grown men wearing shorts in 30 degree weather? Goons making their vehicles as noisy as possible? trumpers? What happened to responsible adults; real grown ups that knew what had to be done and made sure that it was done?

Thank you all for your answers. Regarding wearing shorts in 30 degree weather, I meant 30 degrees Fahrenheit (which is very cold), not 30 degrees Celsius, which is quite warm. Sorry about the confusion on that issue. 

And my question is not about any specific age group. It's just grown ups in general.

Favorite Answer

I often ask myself the exact same thing!  One of the first things I taught my daughter's was responsibility and accountability 

yeah adults these days are difficult to tell apart from children right? they all act like kids or teenagers. i for one am a true adult.

• keerok

We still are here and we're called the gen-X'rs. The problem is nobody listens to us - not the baby boomers before us nor the millenials or gen-Z's after us. 

We still lead by example but unfortunately, the trend today is act foolishly and brazenly to have 4 minutes of fame in social media. How then will we make this world a better place? Nobody cooperates.

The only thing I don’t agree with in your list is the grown men wearing shorts. That’s the only one I don’t think is necessarily irresponsible.

It’s OK to wear shorts in 30° weather. Makes you hardy. Anyway, most grown men who do that just get out of their car and walk into the Walmart so they’re not actually exposed to the elements long enough for it to be any risk. But I like the rest of your list. Very nice. 

A better question is what ever happened to adults who want to earn what they get and not expect free handouts from the government?  Oh, I deserve government health care because I'm a human being.  And at the same time that person bought everyone in their family the latest smart phone.

There's a level of ignorance here, because not everyone under 30 is like that. There are people who have maturity and are smart and capable enough to do what's needed. People under 30 work jobs and can function properly. Yes sure, there are idiots, but they come with each generation. There are those who do good for the world and are committed to doing so. So labeling everyone from another generation as immature and pathetic idiots who can't be respectable isn't right.

It began when we began sticking a joystick in a child's mouth instead of a nipple.  Mid-eighties or so.  This is now the third generation.  Electronics are more fun, but there's no Vitamin EN (emotional nourishment) in them.  Without that, maturity is stunted.

Everyone has his/her mind. Maturity is on the growth of minds (which also includes emotions ) By adventure on daily lives, minds will naturally grow. That can be achieved by paying attention on daily events around us.

• ?

doesnt label anyone , am not a shallow or a bigot like you ..

It is the desire to the adult and in control of your own life that pushes people to look for simple answers to complex world. I actually think that people who think that the world is somehow less responsible than in the past are often the childish ones. 

By the way, I grew up in the tropics, and wearing shorts most of the year, including going to work, is normal, nothing to do with being grown up at all. Respecting people's differences is something we hope all adults can do, but it rarely happens. 

some people dont like being adults